USTR Requests the International Trade Commission Commence a
Section 201 Global Safeguard Investigation for Blueberries
“President Trump recognizes the challenges faced by farmers across the country, and today’s action is just one of a number of steps the Administration is taking to support American producers of seasonal and perishable agricultural products,” said U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer.
USTR’s request includes all imports within the product descriptions under the following statistical reporting categories in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States:
· 0810400029 (cultivated blueberries, including highbush, fresh or chilled);
· 0810400026 (certified organic blueberries, fresh or chilled);
· 0810400024 (wild blueberries, fresh or chilled);
· 0811902024 (wild blueberry, uncooked or cooked by steaming or boiling in water, frozen);
· 0811902030 (blueberries, certified organic, cultivated (including highbush), uncooked or cooked by steaming or boiling in water, frozen); and
· 0811902040 (blueberries, cultivated (including highbush), uncooked or cooked by steaming or boiling in water, NESOI, frozen).
The ITC will publish notice of the commencement of this proceeding in the Federal Register and will hold public hearings at which the ITC will afford interested parties and consumers an opportunity to present evidence or otherwise be heard. Further information regarding the investigation process—including applicable timelines—can be found in 19 U.S. Code § 2252.
The full Report on Seasonal and Perishable Products in U.S. Commerce is available here.