“We must invest more energy and resources in police training and recruiting and community engagement.” – President Donald J. Trump
IMPLEMENTING BEST PRACTICES: President Donald J. Trump is taking historic action to increase the adoption of best practices in law enforcement and support a safe and secure America.
- President Trump is issuing a new Executive Order that will encourage law enforcement agencies to implement best practices and protect the communities they serve.
- Our law enforcement officers provide critical protection to all Americans, and we need to work collectively to strengthen relationships across our country.
- Under the Order, the Attorney General will allocate certain grant funding to only those law enforcement agencies that meet high standards, including around use-of-force and de-escalation, as credentialed by reputable independent bodies.
- The Order provides incentives for law enforcement agencies to use a nationwide database to track terminations, criminal convictions, and civil judgments against law enforcement officers for excessive use-of-force, which will create accountability between agencies.
- The Administration will prioritize training and other programs for police and social workers responding to incidents involving the mentally ill, addicted, and homeless.
- President Trump is directing his Administration to develop and propose new legislation to Congress to further the policies of the Order and build community engagement.
UNITING AMERICAN COMMUNITIES: President Trump is taking action to unite our Nation and ensure safer communities for all Americans.
- Every day, law enforcement officers make great sacrifices to keep our citizens safe.
- Last year alone, 89 law enforcement officers were killed in the line of duty.
- In 2018, our police arrested nearly 12,000 people for murder and manslaughter, 25,000 people for rape, and nearly 1.5 million for assault.
- The overwhelming majority of the law enforcement community bravely perform their duties with integrity and honor.
- Close ties between law enforcement and their communities are important in all communities.
- President Trump’s Order seeks to redouble our efforts as a Nation to engage directly with our neighbors and secure lasting relationships across all communities.
KEEPING AMERICANS SAFE: President Trump is improving fairness and equality in our criminal justice system, while keeping our communities safe.
- President Trump has led the way on groundbreaking criminal justice reform, taking a smart-on-crime approach to make our communities safer.
- The President brought together a broad coalition including law enforcement, faith groups, community organizations, and more to support the First Step Act.
- The President established the Presidential Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice, examining how to improve community relations between the public and law enforcement.
- President Trump revitalized Project Safe Neighborhoods to help reduce violent crime in communities all around the country.
- Thanks to the President’s efforts, both the violent crime rate and murder rate in America have fallen for two consecutive years.