“The security and prosperity of the United States depend on high-speed, reliable, and secure communication networks.” – President Donald J. Trump
RELIABLE AND SAFE NETWORKS: President Donald J. Trump signed new legislation to ensure that our Nation’s communications networks are protected from foreign adversaries.
- Today, President Trump signed the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act, furthering his commitment to defend our networks from entities posing an unacceptable risk to national security.
- This legislation will help protect our telecommunications infrastructure by prohibiting the use of Federal funds to purchase equipment from companies that pose a national security threat.
- The Act creates a reimbursement program to remove and replace equipment in use that was manufactured by entities posing unacceptable national security risk.
- Provisions of this legislation also help ensure the Federal Government can share critical information about supply chain security with carriers.
- These reforms will help protect our Nation’s vital communications network and also ensures the United States reaches its 5G potential.
PROTECTING VITAL INTERESTS: The security and prosperity of the United States depends on high-speed, reliable, and secure communications networks.
- The next generation of wireless technology—or 5G—is expected to have vast implications for the future of the United States.
- 5G has the potential to transform numerous parts of American society, ranging from artificial intelligence, to manufacturing, to public services.
- Using untrustworthy vendors to build communications infrastructure threatens our security by exposing our networks to actors who are potentially influenced by foreign entities.
- The stakes could not be higher—America’s citizens and our foreign partners must be able to trust that our 5G networks are reliable, private, and secure.
- The Administration will not risk subjecting America’s critical telecommunications infrastructure to companies that are controlled by authoritarian governments or foreign adversaries.
SECURING AMERICA’S FUTURE: President Trump is building upon his efforts to keep America at the forefront of achieving a safe and prosperous future.
- President Trump is committed to the development of reliable 5G and ensuring the United States remains the global leader in technology and innovation.
- The Trump Administration is working with allies and partners on telecommunications security principles that will foster reliable 5G networks.
- The Administration is working to ensure America’s private sector has access to spectrum, including critical mid-band spectrum, to fuel the growth of our wireless industry
- The President is committed to ensure that rural Americans are not left behind and that their communities have access to safe and reliable high-speed broadband.
- President Trump signed an Executive Order to secure our information and communications technology supply chains from foreign adversaries.
- The President signed legislation creating the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency to protect our Nation’s vital critical infrastructure.