Gov. Kay Ivey on Thursday announced the launch of new COVID-19 drive-thru testing sites in Adamsville and Montgomery. The testing sites are supported by Walmart and Quest Diagnostics and will be available to anyone who may be exhibiting symptoms, as well as all health care workers and first responders.
The Adamsville store at 2473 Hackworth Road is near the city limits of Birmingham and a common shopping location for many residents in the northwestern section of Birmingham.
“I greatly appreciate the efforts by Walmart and Quest Diagnostics to provide additional testing locations that are secure and easily accessible,” Governor Ivey said.
“All over the country, states are struggling to acquire enough testing kits and personal protection equipment. These new sites will allow folks to receive testing without leaving their car, thereby keeping them from potentially infecting others.”
All appointments will be drive-thru, observed self-collection in the Walmart parking lots guided by Walmart pharmacist volunteers and Quest employees.
“Walmart is part of the community, and we are proud to help support the expansion of COVID-19 testing in Alabama during this unprecedented time,” said Glen Wilkens, Walmart Public Affairs Director for Alabama. “We are grateful to our associates who keep our stores running, our pharmacists who support these testing sites, and to Quest and local officials as we work together to open the site and help our community.”
Quest’s MyQuest™ online portal will screen and schedule those individuals who meet the CDC eligibility. The testing site requires an appointment through Quest’s MyQuestTM online portal and app (see fact sheet below). An appointment confirmation will be needed to have on hand upon arrival.
“I want to thank Walmart and Quest Diagnostics for this service to our residents. The Adamsville store location is heavily frequented by Birmingham residents from the northwestern section of the city,” Birmingham Mayor Randall L. Woodfin said. “With three other locations strategically placed in the city, this adds another resource in the efforts to diagnose and prevent coronavirus in Birmingham. We hope this joint effort continues to grow to serve our residents and the state.”
“We are extremely proud to have this COVID-19 drive-thru testing facility for the residents of Adamsville and all of our local communities,” Adamsville Mayor Pam Palmer said. “We applaud Gov. Kay Ivey, Walmart, Quest Diagnostics and the U.S. Dept. of Health for their efforts to make this a reality. We are thankful that this side of Jefferson County will now have testing available in our area. The City of Adamsville Police Department will be present to assist each day.”
The drive-thru will be open daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., weather permitting.
The Drive Thru Testing Fact Sheet:
At a time when COVID-19 testing is critical to the pandemic response, we want you to know that there is a drive-thru testing site available to anyone who may be exhibiting symptoms of the virus. In addition, the site is also available to all health care workers and first responders, whether or not they are exhibiting symptoms. We know they are on the frontlines of this pandemic and may be exposed to COVID-19 while keeping our communities healthy and safe. We are grateful and humbled by their efforts during this unprecedented time.
Please find information below regarding the testing site and how to schedule an appointment.
- Quest Diagnostics and Walmart
What: A drive-thru COVID-19 testing site for all health care providers and first responders and anyone exhibiting symptoms of the COVID-19 virus. All appointments will be drive-thru, observed self-collection in the Walmart parking lot. Quest’s MyQuest™ online portal will screen and schedule those individuals who meet the CDC eligibility. To be tested, individuals must have a scheduled appointment from MyQuest™ and no walk-ups will be seen. The testing site is supported by Walmart, Quest Diagnostics and state and local officials.
Who: • All health care and first responders and anyone who is exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 can start scheduling appointments. • For more information on testing eligibility please see CDC guidelines: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/priority-testing-patients.pdf. When: • The drive-thru will be open daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., weather permitting. • Please arrive no more than 10 minutes before your appointment time.
Where: • You must first qualify for COVID-19 screening and schedule an appointment at: www.MyQuestCOVIDTest.com
• PLEASE NOTE: Testing is not available in any Walmart store or in any Quest Diagnostics Patient Service Center.
What to bring/things to note:
• The testing site requires an appointment through Quest’s MyQuestTM online portal and app. You will receive an appointment confirmation that you will need to have on hand when you arrive onsite. • In addition, please make sure to bring your insurance card and valid photo ID for proof of identity.
• Those being tested will need to stay in their cars for verification of eligibility criteria, ID check and sample self-collection. For the safety of all those on-site, the test site is not able to service those who walk up.
• Individuals being tested will perform a self-administered nasal swab in their car with a healthcare provider observing them. Directions will be provided in the confirmation email after scheduling the appointment and on-site.
• It’s important to take care of yourself and monitor your symptoms closely. If your symptoms do not improve or you develop new or worsening symptoms, seek medical attention right away.
Do not wait to receive your results.
• Individuals being tested will receive their COVID-19 test results through the secure MyQuest online portal or app and may receive a call from our telehealth partner PWN to review results.
• The average turnaround time to report results is 2 – 3 days from the day of collection.
• While individuals that are tested are awaiting results, please follow CDC guidelines and take steps to help prevent the disease from spreading to people in your home and community.
If you have any questions regarding your scheduled appointment, please call Quest’s dedicated COVID19 line at 866-448-771