MONTGOMERY, Ala. | Alabama State concludes a three-game home stand this Saturday facing in-state foe Alabama A&M in Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) action on Greek Unity Day.
The game tips at 4:30 pm as part of a doubleheader and the game will be carried by the Hornet Sports Network. A negative COVID test within the last 72 hours is required for entry into the Dunn-Oliver Acadome, and tickets can be purchased at the ASU Ticket Office located at ASU Stadium. Masks are mandatory at all times while visiting the Alabama State campus.
Alabama State (3-13, 2-2 SWAC) looks to get back on track following a Monday night loss to Alcorn State when they hit the floor on Saturday. Gerald Liddell (Cibolo, Texas) leads the Hornets in scoring at 11.5 points per game, while Kenny Strawbridge (Rockford, Ill.) is averaging 9.7 per game. The Hornets lead the all-time series with Alabama A&M 61-29 and have won 10 of the last 11 meetings, with the last loss coming in Huntsville last January.
All-time series: Alabama State leads 61-29
Montgomery: Alabama State leads 21-11
Huntsville: Alabama State leads 14-10
Neutral Site: Alcorn State leads 6-1
Unknown Site: Alabama State leads 20-7
Mo Williams‘ era: 1-1
Last meeting: Alabama State def. AAMU, 72-58 (2/13/21)
- Alabama State finishes a three-game home stand with the game today and will not return to the Dunn-Oliver Acadome until January 31 against Florida A&M.
- The Hornets have won 10 of the last 11 meetings between the two teams and have recorded a 27-7 record in the series dating back to January 13, 2007.
- Alabama State finds itself two games game of SWAC-leading Southern, and just one game back of Alabama A&M for third place in the conference in the first month of the conference season.
- Five players have suited up against Alabama A&M for the Hornets with Strawbridge leading the way at 17.0 points per game in two games against the Bulldogs. Kevion Stewart (Memphis, Tenn.) has played in four games against Alabama A&M – the most of anyone on the Alabama State roster.
- Strawbridge was named the SWAC Player of the Week after his 27-point performance against Mississippi Valley State on Monday night. The award is the third for Alabama State as Liddell, who missed the game at Mississippi Valley State, was named the SWAC Impact Player of the Week after scoring 16 points on the road against then-No. 16/17 Texas. Strawbridge (Rockford, Ill.) also won the award the week of December 15.
- Alabama State had a season-low 11 turnovers against Jackson State, while getting to the line 36 times (30 makes) in the conference victory. The Hornets also scored a season-high 50 points in the second half (season-high).
- Alabama State has played a pair of teams that were ranked at the time (Texas and Texas Tech) and played Iowa State who climbed to as high as eighth this week in the polls. They also played Iowa (receiving votes), before games against No. 4/3 UCLA and Memphis (receiving votes) were postponed due to COVID-19 protocols inside their opponents’ programs.
- The Hornets have the fourth toughest schedule in the country according to ESPN trailing only conference foes Prairie View A&M, Alcorn State, and Texas Southern.
- Alabama State has started ten different lineups this season, making them one of eight teams that have started seven different lineups or more this season.
FOLLOW THE HORNETS
For complete coverage of Alabama State University men’s basketball, follow the Hornets on social media @BamaStateMBB (Twitter), /BamaStateSports (Facebook), @BamaStateSports (Instagram) or visit the official home of Alabama State athletics at BamaStateSports.com.