NICEVILLE, Fla. – The Samford University men’s basketball team rallied from an eight-point first half deficit to defeat McNeese State University, 83-75, in the final round of the Emerald Coast Classic on Saturday, Nov. 27 at Raider Arena. Ques Glover led the Bulldogs (5-1) and all scorers with 24 points while Jaden Campbell (19), Jermaine Marshall (17) and Jacob Tryon (10) joined him in double figures. Myles Lewis was the Cowboys’ leading scorer with 20 points.
Samford, which clinched the championship of its Emerald Coast Classic bracket, went undefeated over the week-long event. The Bulldogs opened the multi-team tournament with a thrilling 78-77 win at Oregon State followed by back-to-back victories over North Carolina A&T (77-75) and McNeese State (83-75).
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Samford 83 | McNeese State 75
Venue | Time: Raiders Arena | Niceville, Fla. | 1:30 p.m.
Series: Third meeting | Samford leads 3-0
Get Social: Twitter – @SamfordMBB | Instagram – SamfordMBB
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- McNeese State’s Myles Lewis scored 12 of the first 15 points of the game, as the Cowboys raced out of the gate to a 15-7 lead with 14:57 to go in the first half.
- Samford answered with a 7-0 run to cut the deficit to one, 15-14, with 12:23 remaining in the half.
- After MSU took a five-point edge, 19-14, the Bulldogs began finding their offensive rhythm, as Samford roared back to take a 26-22 lead with 8:24 to play in the half.
- McNeese State came back to tie the contest at 28-28 with 6:24 left in the half.
- Over the next 5:16, Samford would outscore the Cowboys 22-12 to take a 50-40 lead into the locker room at halftime.
- The Cowboys started the second half just like the first, as McNeese State outscored the Bulldogs 13-5 to pull within two, 55-53, at the 13:42 media timeout.
- Christian Shumate’s 3-pointer with 13:03 left in the game gave the Cowboys their first lead since early in the first half, 56-55.
- The lead was short-lived as Jacob Tryon canned a deep 3-pointer to push the Bulldogs back out front, 58-56, at the 12:54 mark.
- A quick three at the line by Glover and a layup from Campbell extended Samford’s lead to 63-60 with 11:30 to go.
- Collin Warren’s layup tied the game at 63-63 with 10:49 to play, but just like before, Tryon’s jumper put the Bulldogs up two, 65-63, with 10:47 left in the game.
- The back and forth continued for the two teams, as the game was knotted at 68-68 at the 7:14 media timeout.
- Glover’s back-to-back jumpers in the paint pushed Samford back out front, 72-69, with 5:41 to go.
- As the Bulldogs held the Cowboys scoreless for more than 3:18 seconds, Samford led 74-69 at the 3:40 media timeout.
- Samford’s defensive pressure kept the Cowboys in check, as the Bulldogs built a nine-point edge, 80-71, with 2:04 to play in the game.
- Samford closed out the game at the free throw line for the 83-75 victory.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Samford shot 45.5 percent (15-of-33) in the opening half with McNeese State connecting on 40 percent (14-of-26).
- Jaden Campbell paced the Bulldogs with 16 points at the break with Jermaine Marshall adding 10 points and seven rebounds. Ques Glover chipped in with eight points and four assists.
- McNeese State was led by Lewis with 16 points.
- The Bulldogs finished the game shooting 43 percent on 26-of-61 attempts from the field. Samford made 8-of-34 from 3-point range and 23-of-26 at the line.
- McNeese closed the contest shooting 47 percent on 25-of-53 attempts from the field.
- The Bulldogs forced 27 turnovers in the win that led directly to 32 points.
- Glover was 6-of-15 from the field and 11-of-11 at the line to finish with 24 points. He lso handed out a team-high six assists.
- Marshall turned in his second double-double of the campaign with 17 points and 12 rebounds.
- Campbell’s 19 points were also a career-high with Tryon closing out the game with 10 points and six rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Samford, which clinched the championship of its Emerald Coast Classic bracket, went undefeated over the week-long event. The Bulldogs opened the multi-team tournament with a thrilling 78-77 win at Oregon State followed by back-to-back victories over North Carolina A&T (77-75) and McNeese State (83-75).
- Ques Glover was named to the Emerald Coast Classic All-Tournament Team.
- The Bulldogs and Cowboys were meeting for the third time with Samford owning a 3-0 edge in the series standings.
- The Bulldogs return to the Pete Hanna Center on Tuesday, Nov. 30, as Samford hosts Mississippi College. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on ESPN+.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS: