Game 6 • South Alabama Jaguars (3-2) vs. San Diego Toreros (3-2)
November 25, 2021 • 12:30 p.m. (CST) • Orleans Arena • Las Vegas, Nev.
Richie Riley (Eastern Kentucky, 2005)
Record at USA: 57-41 (4th year)
Overall Record: 92-69 (6th year)
Record vs. San Diego (0-0)
Sam Scholl (San Diego, 2001)
Record at San Diego: 38-53
Overall Record: Same
Record vs. South Alabama (0-0)
South Alabama defeated William Carey 96-53 on Monday night at the Mitchell Center. San Diego lost to Cal State Fullerton 57-55 on Friday.
USA will play Hawaii or UIC on Friday.
ON THE AIR
RANKINGS (NET reflects end of 2020-21 season)
USA: #157 Sagarin, NET #203 (last year)
San Diego: #169 Sagarin, NET #234
South Alabama leads the series 3-0. The Jags won the last meeting between the two schools 68-62 on Dec. 22, 2011, at the Holiday Hoops Classic at the South Point Casino in Las Vegas.
– South Alabama is ranked 15th in the NCAA in scoring defense, giving up just 55.5 points per game and have held two teams below 50 points through five games.
– USA leads the Sun Belt in field-goal percentage defense (.358), offensive rebounds per game (15.0), rebounding margin (8.6), scoring defense (55.5), scoring margin (25.2) and turnover margin (7.0).
– South has forced 18 or more turnovers in three straight games, and only committed two turnovers in Saturday’s win over Mobile.
– The Jaguars made 55.9 percent of their shots on Monday night, a season-high figure and hit a season-best 11 three-pointers against William Carey.
– San Diego’s 48.1 percent from beyond the arc ranks as the top mark in the NCAA.
– San Diego’s Terrell Brown leads the country with 24 blocks.
– Marshall Kearing posted his second consecutive game with a double-double, while it was the fourth contest in a row that a Jag has achieved the feat; Javon Franklin had double-doubles at Wichita State and Alabama.
– Kearing had 14 points and 16 rebounds against Mobile. The 16 rebounds were the most by a Jaguar since Augustine Rubit pulled down 19 rebounds on Dec. 16, 2012.
– Jay Jay Chandler’s 15 first-half points versus the Crusaders were the most scored by a Jag this season as he would go on to set a new career high with 22 points on 7-of-10 shooting; he also tied a season-high with three assists.
– Charles Manning Jr. has scored in double figures in four consecutive games.
– Kayo Goncalves ranks fourth in the Sun Belt with 12 made three-pointers.
– The Jaguars are among the lowest percentage of minutes returning in the country for the 2021-22 season. USA brings back just 28.6 percent of minutes played from last season, which ranks as the eighth fewest in the NCAA. Only UT-Martin, Creighton, Missouri, Duquesne, Iowa State, Robert Morris and Boston College return fewer. Newcomers have accounted for 84.3 percent of the scoring in South Alabama’s first five games. The top five scorers are newcomers.
For more information about South Alabama athletics, check back with www.usajaguars.com, and follow the Jaguars at www.twitter.com/WeAreSouth_JAGS. Season tickets for all Jaguar athletic events can be purchased by calling (251) 461-1USA (1872).
Join the South Circle, the unrestricted giving option of the University of South Alabama Athletics. Contributions to the South Circle directly support all 17 sports in addition to various support programming. For more information on how you can join visit: http://jaguarathleticfund.com/give