HUNTSVILLE, Ala. | In the semifinal round of the 2021 SWAC Volleyball Tournament, Alabama State (15-16, 12-4) dropped a tight battle to Jackson State by a score of 3-2 on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After trading points to start the game, Alabama State found themselves trailing 9-6 early after a run from the Tigers.
- After calling a timeout, the Hornets reduced the deficit to a point at 14-13 and tied the score moments later at 17-17 before taking a 19-17 lead to force a Jackson State timeout.
- Alabama State continued their run out of the break, forcing another timeout from the Tigers before taking the opening set 25-21.
- The second set was a similar battle, with neither team gaining more than a two-point lead until late in the set when Jackson State took a 17-14 lead.
- Later in the set, Alabama State reduced the deficit to a single point after two Tiger errors, however, were forced to call their second timeout of the half after trailing 21-18 and fell in the second 25-20.
- Jackson State opened the third with another run, taking an early 8-5 lead to force the first break in the set.
- The Hornets continued to fight to get back into the game but found themselves down 19-14 before calling their second timeout of the third.
- The Tigers finished the set on a 6-4 run, going up 2-1 in the match after the 25-18 win.
- The fourth set was another tight battle that included a match-high 10 ties and six lead changes throughout.
- With the score tied 12-12, Alabama State created some separation with a 7-4 run and held their lead for the remainder of the set taking a 25-20 win in the fourth to go into the last set.
- The two teams began the fifth and final set trading points before Alabama State forced a stop in play with a timeout after trailing 5-2.
- The Hornets fought back to tie the game at 9-9 and the two teams tied three more times in the game before the Tigers closed out the match with the 15-13 win to advance.
- Three Hornets earned double-digit kills on the afternoon, led by Amaya Finley (Stockton, Calif.) and Jada Rhodes (Tallahassee, Fla.) who both had 12. Finley also added five digs, an ace and an assist, while Rhodes added nine digs and an ace to her totals.
- Kalysia Bates (Phenix City, Ala.) added ten kills and five blocks for Alabama State, while Alexis Ratliff (Atlanta, Ga.) logged eight kills and three blocks.
- Emersen Belles (Gilbert, Ariz.) recorded a match-high 25 digs against the Tigers, while both setters dished out over 20 assists with McKenzie Boland (Stockbridge, Ga.) finishing with 22 and Madison Beasley (Gilbert, Ariz.) finishing with 21.
Follow The Hornets
For complete coverage of Alabama State University women’s basketball, follow the Hornets on social media at @BamaStateWBB (Twitter), @BamaStateSports (Instagram) and /BamaStateSports (Facebook) and visit the official home of Alabama State athletics at www.bamastatesports.com.