BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford University volleyball team heads into the weekend hosting the 2021 Southern Conference Volleyball Tournament. The Bulldogs are the number three seed in this year’s tournament and will face ETSU at 7:30 p.m. on Friday Nov. 19 in the Pete Hanna Center in the quarterfinal round.
Samford is currently on a six-match winning streak that finished the regular season dating back to Oct. 29 against Western Carolina with five of the six wins coming in the Pete Hanna Center. Kenya McQuirter and Kayla Keshock have been instrumental in the Bulldogs run with each garnering the SoCon Offensive Player of the Week and SoCon Setter of the Week honors twice. McQuirter has recorded 111 kills throughout the winning streak, while Keshock has amassed 247 assists.
Opponent: #6 ETSU
Date: Friday, Nov. 19
Location: Birmingham, Ala.
Site: Pete Hanna Center
Time: 7:30 PM CT
- Since 2014, the Bulldogs and the Buccaneers have met 20 times splitting the matches an even 10 wins each. The Bulldogs have won five of the last six matches, but the ETSU and Samford split the two regular season matches this season with each team picking up a win and a loss 3-1.
BULLDOGS TO WATCH
- McQuirter is coming off a career regular season with a team high 356 kills and 32 total blocks in her redshirt-sophomore campaign.
- Keshock continues to set the Bulldog offense posting 916 assists in 25 matches played.
- Veteran middle blocker, Briana Holmes, has had an incredible impact for Samford over their winning streak recording 32 kills and 25 blocks during that span.
- Lauren Deaton, a leader for Samford on and off the court, continues to make an impact for the Bulldogs offensive and defensively tallying 293 kills and 232 digs on the season.
- Bulldog defense: Emily Naubert, Kate Morgan and Andie Salasky have held down the strong defensive rotation for the Bulldogs as the trio has combined for 645 digs throughout the season.
OPPONENT QUICK LOOKS:
- ETSU Buccaneers finished sixth in the SoCon and are looking to break a four-match losing streak after dropping matches to Samford, Mercer, Chattanooga, and Wofford to end the SoCon regular season. The Bucs are led by Josannah Vazquez who has earned 320 kills this season, while Caroline Dykes has set the ETSU offense with 867 assists.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS:
For the latest news and information on Samford volleyball, visit the official website for Samford Athletics at SamfordSports.com. Fans can also follow the Bulldogs on social media at /SamfordVolleyball (Facebook), @SamfordVB (Instagram) and @SamfordVB (Twitter).