WICHITA, Kan. – The University of South Alabama men’s basketball team fell to Wichita State 64-58 Saturday afternoon at the Charles Koch Arena.
Javon Franklin paced the Jags (1-1) with a career-high 18 points and 12 rebounds and his first career double-double. Charles Manning, Jr. joined Franklin in double figures with 13 points. Kayo Goncalves and Jay Jay Chandler each added eight points.
Wichita State’s Ricky Council IV led all scorers with 19 points and hit the go-ahead three-pointer with 4:17 remaining to put the Shockers (2-0) ahead 57-56, a lead they would not relinquish the rest of the way.
Place: Charles Koch Arena
Final Score: South Alabama 58, Wichita State 64
Records: South Alabama 1-1, Wichita State 1-1
– Wichita State opened the contest on a 13-8 run. Franklin had six of the Jags’ first eight points.
– USA responded with a 5-2 run to cut the deficit to two.
– The Shockers extended the lead with 6-2 run and led 21-15 with 7:10 remaining.
– South ended the half on a 17-10 run as four different Jags scored and went into the break tied at 32-32.
– The Jaguars opened the half with a 6-0 run, holding the Shockers scoreless for over four minutes to take a 38-32 lead.
– Wichita State responded with a 14-4 run to retake the lead at 46-42 with 10:17 remaining.
– South Alabama answered with a 9-3 run to take back the lead 51-49, highlighted by four points from Franklin.
– Council hit his third three-pointer of the game to put the Shockers back on top 57-56 with 4:17 remaining.
– Franklin cut the deficit to three (61-58) with 1:19 left on the clock, but Wichita added three free throws in the final minute to hold on for the six-point win.
– After a setting several career-highs in the season opener, Franklin set career highs in points (18), rebounds (12), minutes (37), field goals made (8), field goals attempted (11) and free throws attempted (5).
– After nearly getting a double-double against Spring Hill, Franklin notched his first career double-double and has scored in double figures in both games this season.
– South Alabama held AAC Preseason Player of the Year Tyson Etienne to four points on 1-of-10 shooting.
– Tyrell Jones pulled down a season-high five rebounds, one short of his career-high.
– USA held Wichita State to 37 percent shooting (22-59). The Jags have forced both opponents this season to shoot below 40 percent from the field.
– Goncalves hit two of the three treys South Alabama made in the contest.
– The game featured 10 lead changes and five ties.
– The Jags outscored Wichita State 38-28 in the paint.
THEY SAID IT
Head Coach Richie Riley
– Opening statement:
“I’m proud of the fight we showed in a hostile environment, especially being without three guys that we really count on. We will learn from this and get better.”
– South Alabama will travel to Tuscaloosa, Ala. to face No. 14 Alabama on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. (CST).
For more information about South Alabama athletics, check back with www.usajaguars.com, and follow the Jaguars at www.twitter.com/WeAreSouth_JAGS. Season tickets for all Jaguar athletic events can be purchased by calling (251) 461-1USA (1872).
Join the South Circle, the unrestricted giving option of the University of South Alabama Athletics. Contributions to South Circle directly support all 17 sports in addition to various support programming. For more information on how you can join visit: http://jaguarathleticfund.com/give