Meet (Host Institution): NCAA South Regional (North Alabama and assisted by the Huntsville Sports Commission and the City of Huntsville
Place: John Hunt Cross Country Running Park (Huntsville, Ala.)
Race Information: Women’s 6K – 8:30 a.m. | Men’s 10K – 9:30 a.m.
Tournament Central: www.huntsvillesports.org/events/ncaa-2021-d1-cross-country-south-regional/
Live Stats: https://live.xpresstiming.com/meets/11059
WOMEN’S – 6K – 34 TEAMS
Alabama, Alcorn State, Auburn, Belmont, Chattanooga, East Tennessee State, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Georgia Tech, Jacksonville State, Kennesaw State, Lipscomb, Memphis, Miami (Fla.), Middle Tennessee, Mississippi State, North Florida, Ole Miss, Samford, South Florida, Southern Mississippi, Stetson, Tennessee, Tennessee Tech, Tennessee-Martin, Troy, UAB, UCF, Vanderbilt
Teams with Individuals (4): Alabama State, Florida Gulf Coast, Jackson State, Jacksonville, Mercer, SOUTH ALABAMA
MEN’S – 10K – 29 TEAMS
Alabama, Auburn, Belmont, Chattanooga, East Tennessee State, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida Gulf Coast, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Jackson State, Jacksonville State, Kennesaw State, Lipscomb, Memphis, Mercer, Miami (Fla.), Middle Tennessee, North Florida, Ole Miss, SOUTH ALABAMA, South Florida, Stetson, Tennessee, Tennessee Tech, Tennessee-Martin, Troy, Vanderbilt
Teams with Individuals (0): None
AT THE LINE FOR THE JAGUARS
WOMEN’S – 6K
– Adele Maguad (So., Martigues, France)
MEN’S – 10K
– Lance Cunigan (So., Kellytown, Ala.)
– Teagan Flanagan (Jr. , Wichita, Kan.)
– Onesmus, Kemboi (Sr., Eldoret Kenya)
– Brandon Knieja (Fr., Pensacola, Fla.)
– Jared Peaslee (Fr., Weaton, Ill.)
– Nate Pudner (Sr., Auburn, Ala.)
– Charlie Slaughter (R-Fr., Birmingham, Ala.)
– Kirami Yego (Fr., Kapenguria, Kenya)
– The 2021 meet marks the first time that Huntsville, Ala., has served as host of the South Regional.
– The South Alabama men are making their 27th appearances at the South Regional.
– Kirami Yego – a three-time SBC Runner of the Week selection this fall – enters the regional meet after becoming the 11th male runner from South to win individual honors at the 2021 Sun Belt Conference Cross Country Championships.
– The conference title was also Yego’s third win of his career. He has finished 13th or better in eight of his nine career races.
– Onesmus Kemboi placed sixth at the SBC Championships and earned second-team all-league honors. He placed 21st at the South Regional in 2019 for the Jags, his 21st top 25 finish in 25 collegiate races.
– Teagan Flanagan earned NJCAA All-American honors six times while at Hutchinson CC, including first-team honors last fall after finishing fifth at the NJCAA DI Cross Country Championships.
– Adele Magaud’s appearance as an individual marks the first of her career and the first by a woman cross country runner at South since 2018 when Andonet Cheruiyot and Silje Lindstad did so at the NCAA South Regional held in Tallahassee, Fla.
– Magaud tied for fourth at last month’s conference championships with a time of 17:38.0 in hte 5k race and earning first-team all-league honors.
– Maguad has recorded 10 top 30 finishes in her 13 career races and has placed inside the top 20 in three of her five meets this fall.
Next Meet: The NCAA Championships will be held in Tallahassee, Fla., at Apalachee Regional Park and hosted Florida State University on Nov. 20. The women’s 6k race will start at 9:20 a.m. (CT) with the men’s 10k scheduled to start at 10:10 a.m. (CT).
***The top two teams from each region will earn an automatic berth to the NCAA Championships, while there will also be 13 at-large bids from around the nation. In addition to the teams advancing, the top four finishers from each regional not on one of the advancing teams will also earn a berth at the championship meet as long as they finish with in the top 25 of the region. Two additional athletes will be selected from the remainder of the national pool (and must have finished in the regional top 25) as at-large individuals.
For more information about South Alabama athletics, check back with www.usajaguars.com, and follow the Jaguars at www.twitter.com/WeAreSouth_JAGS. Season tickets for all Jaguar athletic events can be purchased by calling (251) 461-1USA (1872).
Join the Finish Line Club, the track and field and cross country specific support club of the Jaguar Athletic Fund. All donations to the Finish Line Club go directly to support the South Alabama track and field/cross country programs. For more information on how you can join visit: jaguarathleticfund.com/finishlineclub.