FOLEY, Ala. – A lone goal by Claudia Gutierrez led the University of South Alabama women’s soccer team to a 1-0 victory over Georgia State in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament semifinal Friday evening at the Foley Sports Complex.
Neither team found the back of the net in the first half of play, then Gutierrez netted the only goal of the match in the first five minutes of the second half. South Alabama (11-4-3, 6-2-2 SBC) led the match with 30 shots, 14 on target, while holding Georgia State (9-4-7, 3-1-6 SBC) to three shots and a season-low one on target.
Place: Foley Sports Complex (Foley, Ala.)
Final Score: South Alabama 1, Georgia State 0
Records: South Alabama (11-4-3, 6-2-2 SBC), Georgia State (9-4-7, 3-1-6 SBC)
– Nora Sanchez connected with Gutierrez, who was in a crowd of players in front of the goal, after a corner kick to score and give South Alabama a 1-0 lead.
– South Alabama improved to 4-0 in conference tournament play against Georgia State.
– The Jaguars have recorded eight clean sheets this season.
– USA has won the most tournament matches (27) in Sun Belt Conference history.
– The Jaguars are tied with former Sun Belt member North Texas for the most finals appearances in Sun Belt Tournament history with nine.
– Fifth-year senior Deanna Green tied Monique Autmon for all-time games started with 88.
– Freshman goalkeeper Jaidy Gutierrez Campos is tied for 10th in all-time shutouts with five.
THEY SAID IT
Head Coach Richard Moodie
– On the result: “When we went to their [Georgia State’s] place, we let them have the ball, today we weren’t going to let them have the ball much and make it our game. I’m so proud of our group, we defended like warriors. All credit to Georgia State, they are an amazing team.”
– South Alabama will play for its third straight Sun Belt Conference championship on Sunday at 1 p.m.
For more information about South Alabama athletics, check back with www.usajaguars.com, and follow the Jaguars at www.twitter.com/WeAreSouth_JAGS. Season tickets for all Jaguar athletic events can be purchased by calling (251) 461-1USA (1872).
Join the Upper 90 Club, the soccer specific support club of the Jaguar Athletic Fund. All gifts to the Upper 90 Club go directly to support the South Alabama soccer program. For more information on how you can join visit: http://jaguarathleticfund.com/upper90