BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford volleyball team extended its home winning streak to three matches with a thunderous victory over the ETSU Buccaneers, Friday.
Box Score (PDF)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Samford jumped on the gas early in the opening set taking a four-point advantage into the first media timeout (13-9), and continued to build the lead out to 17-11 forcing ETSU to use both of their timeouts early in the set. However, ETSU closed the game out of their second timeout and eventually retook the lead at 24-23 closing out the set 25-23.
The second frame mirrored the first with the Bulldogs exploding out of the blocks opening a 12-6 early advantage behind a balanced offensive attack. Kenya McQuirter posted six kills in the frame with Lauren Deaton adding three kills of her own. Samford won the race to 20 holding a five-point lead over the Bucs, but just as Samford looked poised to close out the set, ETSU made a run. Determined to rewrite the ending to the second set, the Bulldogs took advantage of an ETSU error followed by kills from Sarah Hayes Farley and Holmes to finish off the frame 25-21.
The third frame started much differently than the previous two, as ETSU jumped out to a slim lead, but Samford responded with a 5-1 run capped with a deafening kill from Holmes giving the Dogs a 15-12 lead going into the media timeout. The Bulldogs extended their lead to 21-16 forcing ETSU to exhaust their timeouts once again. Despite a late push from the Buccaneers Samford sealed the all-important third set 25-20.
Samford looked to close the match in the fourth set holding a slim lead over ETSU for much of the frame. The sides exchanged points early, before a four-point run from the Bulldogs forced ETSU into a timeout at 13-10. Samford continued to lead but was unable to pull away from the Bucs. ETSU continued to hang around and took a late lead at 24-23 with a kill from McQuirter saving set point, before back-to-back kills from Holmes secured the set 26-24 earning the Bulldogs another win the Pete Hanna Center.
FROM THE BOX SCORE
- McQuirter tied a career high with 22 kills against the Buccaneers and was the only Bulldog to record double-digits in the category.
- Holmes recorded nine kills in the match included the set point in the second frame and a pair of kills to close out the match in the fourth.
- Kayla Keshock recorded 46 assists setting the Bulldog offense tallying 11 digs in the process.
- For ETSU, Josannah Vazquez had 21 kills and 15 digs, while libero Taylor Roberts recorded 20 digs.
- The Bulldogs will host Chattanooga in a quick turnaround tomorrow, Nov. 5, in the Pete Hanna Center with first serve set for 7 PM.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS:
For the latest news and information on Samford volleyball, visit the official website for Samford Athletics at SamfordSports.com. Fans can also follow the Bulldogs on social media at @SamfordSports (Facebook), @SamfordVB (Instagram) and @SamfordVB (Twitter).