PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas | An early goal from No. 1 seed Prairie View A&M proved to be the difference as No. 4 seed, and defending Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) champion, Alabama State fell to the Panthers 3-0 in the tournament semifinals on Friday afternoon.
The loss ended the season for Alabama State (7-9-3) one game shy of the championship and the career of a trio of seniors including McKenna Wiscombe (Orem, Utah), Mary Martin Mooneyham (Montgomery, Ala.) and Janae Brown (Orlando, Fla.).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Prairie View A&M was able to get on the board three times in the opening 30 minutes of play beginning with a goal off the foot of Savannah Powell just 26 seconds into the match for the early 1-0 lead.
- The Panthers were able to add to the lead in the 22nd minute when Lesa Griffin went high on a pass from Regan Scott for the 2-0 lead.
- The final goal of the match came in the 29th minute when Jaiden Morgan went high on a pass from Powell for the final margin.
GAME NOTES / BY THE NUMBERS
- Alabama State was outshot on the day 12-4 by the regular season champions, including 6-2 shots on goal in the contest.
- Sheila Sanchez (Castellon, Spain) recorded three saves on the day for the Lady Hornets in goal, ending the year with 90 total saves.
- Four different players recorded shots on the day for Alabama State with Kristen Thomas (Watkinsville, Ga.) and Wiscombe each recording shots on goal.
QUOTE FROM HEAD COACH JODIE SMITH
“This was definitely not our day, giving up the early goal really took us out what we wanted to do. I am proud of our seniors and the contributions, and legacy, they gave to our program. This is not how we wanted the season to end, but we will be back at it next week looking to improve.”
FOLLOW THE HORNETS
For complete coverage of Alabama State University soccer, follow the Hornets on social media @BamaStateWSC (Twitter), /BamaStateSports (Facebook), @BamaStateSports (Instagram) or visit the official home of Alabama State athletics at BamaStateSports.com.