MONTGOMERY, Ala. | Alabama State (13-14, 10-2 SWAC) took a 3-2 decision inside Lockhart Gymnasium against Southern Mississippi on Thursday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening set began as a tight battle, with teams being separated by no more than two points throughout the first half of the set.
- Alabama State called the first timeout of the match, trailing 14-12 after an error; however, went on an 6-1 run out of the break to gain a 18-15 lead.
- Southern Mississippi called their first timeout of the set down three and called their second a few rallies later still trailing by three, this time 23-20 before Alabama State closed out the set with a 25-22 win.
- The second set started off like the first, with the teams seeing 13 ties and four lead changes throughout.
- The Hornets forced a Golden Eagle timeout after a kill from Jada Rhodes (Tallahassee, Fla.) assisted by McKenzie Boland (Stockbridge, Ga.) put Alabama State up 18-16.
- Out of the break, the Hornets went on to take a five-point lead at 22-17 and forced the second Southern Mississippi timeout after a service ace from Emersen Belles (Gilbert, Ariz.).
- Alabama State finished out the set with Belles still serving, after a kill from Kalysia Bates (Phenix City, Ala.) and two errors from Southern Mississippi to give the Hornets the 25-17 win to take a commanding 2-0 lead.
- The Golden Eagles came out in the third set playing well, taking an early 11-8 lead, and forcing Alabama State into an early timeout.
- The Hornets responded after the stoppage, tying the score at 16-16 and a few rallies later at 20-20, however could not complete the sweep and dropped the third set 25-21.
- Both teams traded points to start the fourth set, tying six times within the first 20 points.
- With the score at 8-8, Southern Mississippi went on an 8-1 run to gain a 16-9 advantage.
- Alabama State responded with a few scores of their own to cut the lead to four, however could not regain the momentum and fell in the fourth 25-15.
- In the fifth and final set, the Hornets regrouped and got out to an early 8-4 lead, forcing a Golden Eagle timeout.
- Southern Mississippi only scored four more points in the set, as Alabama State found themselves up 11-6 before another timeout, and finished the match with a 15-8 win in the fifth set.
- Win extends the Alabama State win streak to nine games dating back to October 10 and have won 12 of their last 14 matches.
- Three Lady Hornets recorded double-digit kills on the afternoon, with Rhodes leading the way with a 17 kill, 10 dig performance, while Bates and Vinson added 15 and 12 respectively.
- Rhodes is also the first Hornet this season to record 250 kills, as she currently has 251 for the season.
- Amaya Finley (Stockton, Calif.) showed a good defensive effort, totaling 14 digs and four kills, while Belles logged a game-high 23 digs at libero.
- Boland recorded a team-high 32 assists on the day for the Hornets along with six digs and a kill, while Madison Beasley (Gilbert, Ariz.) added 16 assists, three digs and two aces against the Golden Eagles.
Alabama State will travel to Mississippi this weekend for their final road trip of the regular season with matches against Mississippi Valley State on Sunday, Nov. 7 and Jackson State on Monday, Nov. 8. The match against the Delta Devilettes is scheduled to start at 3 pm, while the match against the Tigers is scheduled to start at 6 pm.
Follow the Hornets
For complete coverage of Alabama State University volleyball, follow the Hornets on social media @BamaStateVB (Twitter), /BamaStateSports (Facebook), @BamaStateSports (Instagram) or visit the official home of Alabama State athletics at BamaStateSports.com.