PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas | Alabama State used a pair of goals from McKenna Wiscombe (Orem, Utah) to push past No. 5 seed Texas Southern, 3-0 in the quarterfinals of the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) Tournament on Thursday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Alabama State got off to a fast start when Grace Norbury (Melbourne, Australia) scored her first goal of the season in the 5th minute of regulation off the assist from Kassandra Schoen (St. Michaels, Minn.)
- The Hornets extended their lead early in the second half when Wiscombe added her fourth goal of the season in the 48th minute with a penalty kick.
- Wiscombe added the final goal of the contest in the 61st minute, her fifth of the season, to put a bow on an impressive start to the Hornets’ quest to repeat as SWAC champions.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Sheila Sanchez (Castellon, Spain) posted her fifth shutout of the season, recording one save – a penalty kick – in the contest.
- Alabama State outshot Texas Southern 14-5 in the match, with eight of them being on goal.
- The match included 19 total fouls – resulting in four total yellow cards – with Texas Southern committing 11 of them.
- Nine different Hornets recorded shots Thursday afternoon with Wiscombe providing four of them – three being on goal.
- Alabama State recorded four corners in both halves, with the Tigers recording just one in the first half.
HOW IT HAPPENED
“I’m so happy with our play today. We set the tone with an early goal which really allowed us to settle down. Sheila came up with a big PK save and along with our back line kept a clean sheet. Now we’ll rest up and prepare for a tough semifinal match tomorrow”
Alabama State will take on No.1 seed Prairie View A&M on Friday with kick set for 3 pm.
FOLLOW THE HORNETS
For complete coverage of Alabama State University soccer, follow the Hornets on social media @BamaStateWSC (Twitter), /BamaStateSports (Facebook), @BamaStateSports (Instagram) or visit the official home of Alabama State athletics at BamaStateSports.com.