September is gone with the wind, which means we’re headed into the busiest month of the year, so saddle up for an update from your state ACA staff! We’ve got sales, meetings, and October Beef Month on the menu. Keep reading to learn more about what’s happening in Montgomery this week!
Cooking Segments Firing Up for Beef Month!
Tomorrow, staffer Ali Cantrell will be recording two cooking segments at Renfroe’s Grocery to air on WSFA during the month of October. Renfroe’s has generously offered to sponsor the ingredients and provide the location for the two segments. Ali will be whipping up some tailgating and fall type beef recipes that will make your mouth water so keep an eye out on during beef month.
Speaking of local news, you should have seen Ali on your screens today if you’re local to Mobile! WKRG aired their Cooking with John segment and Ali will be guest hosting with a Beef Salad recipe and promoting October Beef Month. Tune in two more weeks on October 14 to watch local Junior Cattlemen, Abbeigh Jo Gibson, cook a brisket in a slow cooker!
The statewide membership number ‘o the day is 9,195 members…but we’re not done yet! Final remittance notices have hit mailboxes. If you haven’t renewed, then now’s the time! We are SO CLOSE to our 10,000 member goal, so help us get there with your membership. Don’t forget- we offer fun prizes for our recruiters, also! If you have any membership questions, feel free to contact Jessica Kennedy in our office.
October Beef Month- Full Steam Ahead!
October Beef Month preparations are in full swing! We have some great events coming up, so please keep up with the Bama Beef Online Events Calendar to get the latest on Beef Month activities. Also, please contact staffer Ali Cantrell if you need any materials for your county chapter to pass out at any local events you may be attending. County Leaders, please do not forget to send us pictures from your event to be featured in our magazine as well as social media. Below is the timeline of state-lead activities for October Beef Month 2021.
- September 24: Nominations open for Bama’s Best Beef
- October 2-9: Burger Week in Mobtown (Premier Sponsor)
- October 9: Maxwell Fall Fest
- Junior Cattlemen will be hosting a booth at the festival to talk about beef cattle and pass out treats!
- October 12 – 15: Beef Week
- October 12: “Beef Up the Blood Supply” by giving blood at Conestoga Steak House in Dothan, AL and receive a $20 gift card to the steak house!
- October 13: Receive a $2 discount off a Brisket meal at BBQ Stop in Clay, AL
- October 14: Visit Gather in Atmore, AL and eat a delicious beef meal and receive a free dessert.
- October 15: Come get some Beef Swag when you buy a hamburger at Hamburger King in Montgomery, AL
- October 15: Alabama National Fair “Where’s the Beef?” Cook-off
- This will take place at 7 p.m. Please visit the Alabama National Fair website to enter.
- October 16: County Cattlemen’s Association Steak Sandwich Cook-off
- October 25: Winner for Bama’s Best Beef competition will be announced
- October 28: Beef Checkoff Task Force Meeting
- October 29: Beef 101 at Auburn Beef Unit
Mark your calendars and plan to join us for the events that are close to you!
Beef on the SuperSpeedway
Talladega weekend is on the horizon! If you’re going to be at the race this weekend, keep your eyes on the jumbotron for a Beef. It’s What’s for Dinner. message, and if you listen in over the radio, listen for the sizzle of steak through the Motor Racing Network. ACA has partnered with Georgia Cattlemen’s Association to promote beef throughout the race weekend. ACA staffer Ali Cantrell will also be doing an interview on the Motor Racing Network before the Sunday races to promote October Beef Month and preview Florida Cattlemen’s promotions in Daytona in the spring!
The SLE is excited to be on the search for sponsors for the 2022 rodeo. Thank you to those who have already signed up! If this is something your company may be interested in, please visit the SLE website. This displays every sponsorship package available to you. Don’t hesitate to contact the Director of Rodeo Programs Sarah Hunter if you have any questions!
In other news, SLE Members will gather tomorrow, Thursday, September 30, for the group’s Annual Membership Banquet. It will be great to see returning members, but we also have several new faces that we are excited to welcome!
The 2022 SLE Rodeo is sure to be a hit of show as many new changes and additions are on the horizon. First, the biggest news, is a shift of dates and times for each of the four PRCA Rodeo Performances. The 2022 show line-up is as follows:
· FRIDAY, March 18, 2022 at 7 PM
· SATURDAY, March 19, 2022 at 1 PM (Matinee)
· SATURDAY, March 19, 2022 at 7 PM
· SUNDAY, March 20, 2022 at 2 PM (Matinee)
The 2022 SLE Rodeo is also proud to feature an added timed event in WPRA Breakaway Roping, and will showcase the trick roping skills of World Champion Western Performer Rider Kiesner, who will also clown the event.
As always, if your county cattlemen’s group is hosting a rodeo, please reach out and let Sarah know what she can do to help!
Staffer Morgan Desselle will head to Auburn tomorrow to speak to students on the importance of beef checkoff, the association, and lastly what she does on a day to day basis as the Field Services director. She will talk to the students on how she applied and obtained a job in agriculture and will encourage them to look into jobs in our industry. Friday she will be headed to Uniontown to watch the Heart of Dixie sale! She looks forward to getting out and seeing our cattlemen. Make sure to stop by and say hello if you see her.
With the arrival of fall comes cooler weather and best of all, SALE SEASON! Be sure to keep an eye out on our online calendar to get the latest on upcoming sales in Alabama! www.bamabeef.org/cattlesales