BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford University volleyball team opens homecoming weekend with a pair of matches against East Tennessee State and Chattanooga on Friday, Nov. 5 and Saturday, Nov. 6.
Samford is coming off an outstanding weekend at the Pete Hanna Center where the Bulldogs took down Western Carolina and UNCG. On Friday Oct. 29, redshirt sophomore Kenya McQuirter posted 20 kills with Kayla Keshock recording 50 assists in the Bulldogs’ 3-1 win over the Catamounts. On Saturday’s senior night, Samford honored Lauren Deaton and Briana Holmes as the veterans led Samford to a 3-1 victory over the SoCon second-ranked Spartans where Deaton recorded 15 kills while Holmes added five kills and two blocks.
- East Tennessee State
- Since 2008 the Bulldogs are 9-10 against the Bucs, but Samford has won four of the last five matches. Last season the Bulldogs won both matches against ETSU on the road by a score of 3-1, but Samford fell to the Buccaneers on the road earlier this season by the same margin.
- Samford holds a commanding 25-7 margin in the Bulldog-Moc series since 2008. However, the Bulldogs have dropped their last two regular season matchups with Chattanooga with both matches going to five sets.
BULLDOGS TO WATCH
- McQuirter is coming off of her second SoCon Offensive Player of the Week honors this season recording 39 kills on the weekend to lead the Bulldog offense. McQuirter has recorded 284 kills on the season averaging 3.94 kills per set.
- Keshock earned her first career SoCon Setter of the Week honor tallying 93 total assists in the Bulldogs wins over Western Carolina and UNCG. Keshock has had a stellar sophomore campaign recording 762 assists this season averaging just over 10 assists per set.
- Emily Naubert continues to be a presence for Samford in the back row with 34 digs in a pair of Bulldog wins last weekend. On the season, Naubert has 218 digs on the season averaging 2.66 digs per set.
OPPONENT QUICK LOOKS:
- The East Tennessee State Buccaneers are 11-12 overall and 7-5 in conference play, led by Josannah Vazquez with 262 kills and 203 digs so far this season.
- Chattanooga is 8-17 this season and 4-8 in SoCon play with junior middle blocker Maia Rackel leading the way offensively with 294 kills, while freshman defensive specialist Paige Gallentine has posted 475 digs.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS:
For the latest news and information on Samford volleyball, visit the official website for Samford Athletics at SamfordSports.com. Fans can also follow the Bulldogs on social media at /SamfordVolleyball (Facebook), @SamfordVB (Instagram) and @SamfordVB (Twitter).