FOLEY, Ala. – The University of South Alabama women’s soccer team advanced to the Sun Belt Conference semifinals after taking a victory over Little Rock in penalty kicks Wednesday evening at the Foley Sports Complex.
South Alabama (10-4-3) led Little Rock (7-7-6) in multiple categories, including shots (26-6) and corner kicks (12-1) throughout the match. Jana Heinen scored the opening goal of the match before Little Rock scored an own goal in the final three minutes of regulation. The Jaguars held on through two overtime periods before taking the victory in penalty kicks.
Place: Foley Sports Complex (Foley, Ala.)
Final Score: South Alabama 1, Little Rock 1 (South Alabama PKs 3-1)
Records: South Alabama (10-4-3), Little Rock (7-7-6)
– Jana Heinen opened up scoring in the match when she scored off an assist from Mariella Stephens and Julia Edholm to put Little Rock up, 1-0, at 77:34.
– An own goal by Little Rock tied the game at 1-1 in the closing minutes of regulation.
– South Alabama prevailed in penalty kicks, winning the shootout 3-1 and advancing to the conference tournament semifinals.
– South Alabama is 4-0 against Little Rock in conference tournament play.
– This is the second consecutive year that South Alabama has defeated Little Rock in the Sun Belt tournament quarterfinals.
– The Jags advanced to their ninth consecutive conference tournament semifinals.
THEY SAID IT
Head Coach Richard Moodie
– On the result: “We won and we’re playing in the next round. Little Rock is a great team, I’ve got a lot of respect for Mark [Foster], I think he’s a great coach. They were disciplined and took advantage of a mistake we made in the game. We managed to push into extra time and I think that we’ve got a great group. Our student-athletes and coaches care about and love each other. I think at the end of the day that’s what prevails in college soccer.”
– South Alabama will face Georgia State in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament semifinals Friday at 4 p.m. in Foley, Ala.
For more information about South Alabama athletics, check back with www.usajaguars.com, and follow the Jaguars at www.twitter.com/WeAreSouth_JAGS. Season tickets for all Jaguar athletic events can be purchased by calling (251) 461-1USA (1872).
Join the Upper 90 Club, the soccer specific support club of the Jaguar Athletic Fund. All gifts to the Upper 90 Club go directly to support the South Alabama soccer program. For more information on how you can join visit: http://jaguarathleticfund.com/upper90