Returning letterwinners (key stats): Casey Ferguson (24 games played – 5 games started, 3.8 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 26 asts, 13 stls)
Letterwinners lost (key stats): Jaylen Mallard (22 gp – 22 gs, 8.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 16 asts, 9 blks, 16 stls)
Returning redshirts/Squad members (Yr., Hometown, Previous school): none
Newcomers (Yr., Hometown, Previous school): Jaylin Powell (Gr., Raleigh, N.C., Elon); Destiny Samuel (R-Jr., Queens, N.Y., Binghamton); Emani Burks (Fr., Melbourne, Fla., Palm Bay High School)
– Ferguson started in five of her 24 appearances last season.
– Shooting 39.1 percent from beyond the arc, Ferguson finished third in the Sun Belt Conference in three-point field goal percentage.
– Throughout her career at Elon, Powell recorded 713 points, 310 rebounds and 86 assists over her 106 appearances.
– Shooting 112 three-point field goals in her career, Powell led the Phoenix with 22 three-pointers in 2020-21.
– Samuel, a McDonald’s All-American nominee coming out of high school, averaged 4.2 points and 3.8 rebounds in limited action at Binghamton.
– In a contest against Hartford, Samuel recorded a double-double as well as two assists and two steals.
– While at Palm Bay High School, Burks averaged seven points, five rebounds and 2.4 steals per game.
– Burks recorded double-digit figures in seven contests her senior year including two double-doubles.
– As a junior, Burks was named second-team all-Space Coast for averaging 9.4 points and 8.5 rebounds a game in addition to 47 assists, 34 steals and 27 blocks.
Head Coach Terry Fowler
-On the role of the team’s forwards this season: “We really don’t have a veteran crew at the forward spot for us. The addition of Jaylin Powell, who is an outstanding shooter, gives us a lot of versatility. She can play between the wing and forward spot. Destiny Samuel is 6’2″ and can play inside or outside and again gives us versatility with her size. We are excited about her and that the NCAA gave her a waiver so she is able to play immediately. We are sad that Emani is out right now with injury. Casey moved to the forward spot for us last year, which gave us the ability to shoot the three and stretch the defense. She’s a guard by trade, but her ability to stretch the defense allows us to basically play with four guards at one time.”
Senior F Casey Ferguson
-On preparing for the season: “It’s a little different having a new team. I am one of three returners and the oldest on the team so its different trying to bring everyone up to speed and adjusting to the new style of play. I need to make sure I get up to speed as well. We actually play differently than we have in the past so our opponent is not going to know what to expect because we play differently and move differently.”
-On being a leader: “My whole journey here I haven’t really been in a leadership role, but I am the more vocal and spirited one. Now I have to be spirited and a leader, which has been an adjustment for me. I’m not just focused on myself, I’m focused on the whole team.”
-On the new group of forwards: “It’s good but it’s weird having subs. Last year, we only had a few players so it’s weird in practice calling for a sub or someone wanting to get reps. It’s good having more people in that position and more people to fill that role so if something does happen we have someone there to fill that spot without putting someone in a bad position to do something they aren’t prepared for.”
-On her goals for the season: “My biggest goal is the comradery of the team. We need to be a team that stays together throughout the season no matter what happens. Everyone needs to understand we have a common goal and to not separate. I don’t really have a personal goal I just care about the team.”
For more information about South Alabama athletics, check back with www.usajaguars.com, and follow the Jaguars at www.twitter.com/WeAreSouth_JAGS. Season tickets for all Jaguar athletic events can be purchased by calling (251) 461-1USA (1872).
Join the South Circle, the unrestricted giving option of the University of South Alabama Athletics. Contributions to the South Circle directly support all 17 sports in addition to various support programming. For more information on how you can join visit: http://jaguarathleticfund.com/give