GRAMBLING, La. | Alabama State (12-14, 10-2 SWAC) concluded the SWAC Round-Up on Sunday afternoon with a 3-0 sweep over host Grambling in the Hobdy Assembly Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Alabama State started the match with a 3-0 lead after a kill from junior Kalyisa Bates (Phenix City, Ala.) a Grambling error and an ace from Jada Rhodes (Tallahassee, Fla.).
- Grambling responded with a run of their own, taking a 6-4 lead before the Hornets tied the score for the third time of the set at 6-6.
- With the score still tied four points later, Alabama State went on an 8-1 to force a Grambling timeout with the score at 16-9.
- The Hornets forced the second timeout from the Tigers up 23-15, and the set finished just as it started – a Bates kill to give Alabama State the 25-17 win in the first.
- After scoring the first two points in the second set and leading 4-3 later, a kill from Mahogany Vinson (Richton Park, Ill.) sparked a 14-2 run for Alabama State which included three aces from Amaya Finley (Stockton, Calif.) and seven miscues from Grambling.
- Alabama State finished the set after a called timeout, holding the Tigers to single digits, and took a commanding lead with the 25-9 decision.
- The third set began as a tight battle, with the two teams witnessing five ties and three lead changes over the first half of the set.
- Trailing 10-7, Alabama State struggled to regain control and trailed 20-15 before calling their second timeout of the frame.
- Out of the break, the Hornets came back with a run to reduce the deficit to a point at 22-21, forcing a Grambling timeout.
- Rhodes tied the game for Alabama State at 22-22 and earned another kill to put the Hornets up two before an attack error completed the sweep.
- Win extends the Alabama State win streak to eight games dating back to October 10 and have won 11 of their last 13 matches.
- The Hornets are currently tied for second in the win column with Florida A&M, just one loss behind current leader Jackson State in the SWAC standings.
- Vinson led Alabama State offensively on the day with 11 kills, a dig and two blocks for 12 total points, while Finley followed with 11 points with her six kills, four aces and nine digs.
- Both Bates and Rhodes finished the trip with seven kills each against the Tigers, with Bates adding two digs and four blocks, while Rhodes added seven digs, three blocks and an ace to her totals.
- Setters Madison Beasley (Gilbert, Ariz.) and McKenzie Boland (Stockbridge, Ga.) combined for 26 assists with 13 each, while libero Emersen Belles (Gilbert, Ariz.) recorded a match-high 20 digs.
Alabama State will have their final non-conference matchup of the year as they host Southern Mississippi on Thursday, November 4. First serve is scheduled for 5 pm.
Follow the Hornets
For complete coverage of Alabama State University volleyball, follow the Hornets on social media @BamaStateVB (Twitter), /BamaStateSports (Facebook), @BamaStateSports (Instagram) or visit the official home of Alabama State athletics at BamaStateSports.com.