MOBILE, Ala. – The University of South Alabama volleyball team defeated Appalachian State in straight sets (26-16, 25-13, 25-21) Friday in a Sun Belt Conference East Division match at Jaguar Gym.
South Alabama (18-6, 11-1 SBC) extended its win streak to six games, and also extended its home win streak to 11 matches dating back to last season. Jaguar setter Kailey Keeble recorded her 15th double-double of the season with 33 assists and 13 digs, while Hannah Maddux finished with 12 kills and .400 hitting percentage.
– A 3-0 Jaguar run that featured consecutive service aces by Kailey Keeble gave South Alabama a 9-6 lead.
– USA pushed its lead to 12-8 with a 3-0 run that included a solo block by Kennedy Wallace and block-assist from Wallace and Maddie Soboleski.
– Kills by Maddux, Soboleski and Capizzi, and a service ace by Rachel Hickey capped a 4-0 run that extended the Jag lead to 16-9.
– South Alabama earned set point at 24-16 on a Mountaineer service error, and clinched the set 25-16 on a kill by Wallace for a 1-0 lead in the match.
– USA jumped out to a 3-0 lead after a kill by Wallace and consecutive attack errors by App State.
– South Alabama used a 4-0 run, highlighted by a block-assist by Keeble and Capizzi and pair of kills by Carissa Bradford, to take a 9-2 lead.
– A 3-0 Mountaineer run cut the USA advantage to 9-5.
– A 5-0 Jag run that included back-to-back kills and a solo block from Soboleski pushed the Jaguar lead to 18-8.
– USA later earned set point at 24-13 on an App State attack error, and clinched the set 25-13 on a bad Mountaineer set to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
– App State opened the set with a 5-0 scoring run.
– A Mountaineer service error and kill by Bradford cut the APP lead to 8-6.
– USA cut the App State lead to 17-15 with a 3-0 run that included a solo block by Bradford and kill by Wallace.
– The Jags then took a 22-18 lead with a 7-0 run, highlighted by two block-assists from Maddux and Wallace and two kills by Wallace.
– South Alabama earned match point at 24-21 on a kill by Soboleski, and clinched the set 25-21 on a Mountaineer attack error.
– South Alabama finished with a .299 team hitting percentage, aided by a .379 hitting percentage in set one.
– Keeble recorded her team-best 15th double-double of the season with 33 assists and 13 digs, and added one kill, two service aces and one block-assist.
– Maddux finished with a team-high 12 kills and .400 hitting percentage, along with four digs and three block-assists.
– Soboleski totaled 10 kills, two service aces, eight digs, one solo block and two block-assists, 12 serve receptions and finished with a game-high 14 points.
– Hickey finished with 12 digs, one service ace, three assists and nine serve receptions.
– Bradford and Wallace finished with seven and five kills, respectively. Bradford also recorded one assist, two digs and one solo block, and Wallace added one dig, one solo block and three block-assists.
– Capizzi added five kills and three block-assists.
– South Alabama finished with nine total team blocks and 49 digs in three sets.
– The win marked the Jaguars’ fifth straight over Appalachian State.
Head Coach Jesse Ortiz
– On the win:
“I didn’t think we played the cleanest throughout the match; there were some defensive plays we probably left on the board there. But we were pretty physical and we served great tonight and I think that was the difference. We have to play a little cleaner, but it was still pretty good.”
– On Sunday’s match with Coastal Carolina:
“We’re the underdogs. They got us at their house and took it to us. I know we’ve remembered that, and we have been taking it out on the rest of the Sun Belt (Conference) because of it. At the end of the day, we have to answer and own up, and do a better job. We’re really into it, but we’re just going to focus on one point at a time and just do the best that we can – that’s all you can do.”
South Alabama will return to action Sun., Oct. 31, when it hosts Coastal Carolina in a Sun Belt Conference East Division match at noon at Jaguar Gym.
For more information about South Alabama athletics, check back with USAJaguars.com, and follow the Jaguars at Twitter.com/WeAreSouth_JAGS. Season tickets for all Jaguar athletic events can be purchased by calling (251) 461-1USA (1872).
Join the Rally Score Club, the volleyball specific support club of the Jaguar Athletic Fund. All donations to the Rally Score Club go directly to support the South Alabama volleyball program. For more information on how you can join visit: jaguarathleticfund.com/rallyscoreclub.