BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – There is no place like home, as the Samford University volleyball team returns to the Pete Hanna Center for their longest homestand of the SoCon regular season.
The Bulldogs come back to Birmingham to face Western Carolina on Friday, Oct. 29 and UNC-Greensboro on Oct. 30. The Bulldogs are set to have a Spike or Treat Night against the Catamounts with trick or treating around the concourse and Halloween themed games! On Saturday, Samford will honor seniors Lauren Deaton and Briana Holmes in on Scary Good Senior Night.
The Bulldogs and Catamounts meet for the second time this season after Samford dropped the first meeting on the road by a 3-1 decision. Kenya McQuirter and Deaton led the Dogs offensive attack notching 19 and 14 kills respectively, with Kate Morgan leading the way defensively with 24 digs. In Greensboro, Samford fell to the Spartans by a score of 3-0 with Deaton (13) and McQuirter (12) each posting double digit kills, while Kate Wonus added three blocks.
- Western Carolina
- Since 2008 Samford has held a commanding 24-6 lead over the Catamounts winning 11 of the last 13 matchups dating back to 2015. Most recently, however, WCU topped the Bulldogs in a road matchup, 3-1.
- Samford holds the edge in the Bulldog-Spartan series leading 17-9 and were on a five-match winning streak before falling to UNCG on the road 3-0. The Bulldogs
BULLDOGS TO WATCH
- Deaton recorded a team high 31 kills in the two-match road swing notching 17 against The Citadel and 14 versus Wofford.
- Emily Naubert had a season high 20 digs against The Citadel and had three service aces, before adding seven digs and an ace against Wofford.
- Kayla Keshock continues her outstanding sophomore season as the Bulldogs’ setter posting 83 assists on the weekend, 45 at The Citadel and 38 at Wofford.
OPPONENT QUICK LOOKS:
- Western Carolina is currently third in the SoCon with a record of 6-4 in conference play. The Catamounts are led by senior outside hitter Merry Gebel, who leads the team with 285 kills on the season, while sophomore libero Destinee Dorsey leads the back-row defense with 411 digs thus far in 2021.
- The Spartans are 19-4 on the season and 8-2 in conference play entering the week tied atop the SoCon standings with Mercer. Maria Esch leads UNCG with 220 kills on the season, while Jenna Wiggs leads the way defensively with 221 digs.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS:
For the latest news and information on Samford volleyball, visit the official website for Samford Athletics at SamfordSports.com. Fans can also follow the Bulldogs on social media at /SamfordVolleyball (Facebook), @SamfordVB (Instagram) and @SamfordVB (Twitter).