MOBILE, Ala. – The University of South Alabama men’s and women’s cross country teams begins postseason competition Friday morning when the program hosts the 2021 Sun Belt Conference Cross Country Championships at Brookley by the Bay.
Meet (Host Institution): 2021 Sun Belt Conference Cross Country Championship
Place: Brookley by the Bay (Mobile, Ala.)
Race Information: Women’s 5k – 10:02 a.m. | Men’s 8k – 11 a.m.
WOMEN’S – 5K – 12 TEAMS
Appalachian State, Arkansas State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Little Rock, Louisiana, SOUTH ALABAMA, Texas State, Troy, ULM, UTA
MEN’S – 8K – 10 TEAMS
Appalachian State, Arkansas State, Coastal Carolina, Little Rock, Louisiana, SOUTH ALABAMA, Texas State, Troy, ULM, UTA
AT THE LINE FOR THE JAGUARS
WOMEN’S – 5K
– Clervie Chagot (Fr., Bretagne, France)
– Andonet Cheruiyot (Sr., Eldoret Kenya)
– Shaleiya [Shay] Lee (Jr., Bradenton, Fla.)
– Macy Livingston (Fr., The Woodlands, Texas)
– Adele Maguad (So., Martigues, France)
– Emma Tonsberg (Fr., Lemvig, Denmark)
– Abbey Weitenbeck (So., Huntsville, Ala.)
MEN’S – 8K
– Lance Cunigan (So., Kellytown, Ala.)
– Teagan Flanagan (Jr. , Wichita, Kan.)
– Onesmus, Kemboi (Sr., Eldoret Kenya)
– Jared Peaslee (Fr., Weaton, Ill.)
– Nate Pudner (Sr., Auburn, Ala.)
– Charlie Slaughter (R-Fr., Birmingham, Ala.)
– Kirami Yego (Fr., Kapenguria, Kenya)
– Friday marks the second-straight year and the sixth time (1978, 1989, 2014, 2018, 2020 and 2021) overall that South has hosted the Sun Belt Cross Country Championship meet.
– This will be the 37th SBC Women’s Cross Country Championship contested since the event began in 1985, while this year’s event also marks the 44th SBC Men’s Cross Country Championship with the first coming in 1978.
– The South Alabama men will be in search of their 10th conference team title as they took home top honors at last fall’s championship meet after placing five runners inside the top 11 spots at last season’s meet.
– Kirami Yego (first-team) paced the men’s team finishing third overall (24:39.1) earning his first Sun Belt all-conference honors. Yego was joined by four other teammates who also earned all-conference honors: Onesmus Kemboi (second team), Thomas Sand (second team), Warno Potgieter (second team) and Nate Pudner (third team).
– The women will be seeking their fifth team title and the first since 2015.
– There have been eight different male Jaguar runners to win the Sun Belt individual title with the last being Christoph Graph in 2014. Zac Edwards (2009), Micah Tirop (2008 and ’07), Vincent Rono (2006 and ’05), Tonny Okello (2004), David Kamani (1999) and Bobby Abruscato (1981) also picked up Sun Belt titles.
– For the women, four individuals have become Sun Belt champions: Carolien Millenaar (2020), Laura Labuschaigne (2017), Laura Martin (1997) and DeAnne Dahmar (1987).
– Along with Millenaar, Silje Linstad and Susanna Pudner also turned in third-team all-league performances, placing 13th and 15th respectively.
For more information about South Alabama athletics, check back with www.usajaguars.com, and follow the Jaguars at www.twitter.com/WeAreSouth_JAGS. Season tickets for all Jaguar athletic events can be purchased by calling (251) 461-1USA (1872).
Join the Finish Line Club, the track and field and cross country specific support club of the Jaguar Athletic Fund. All donations to the Finish Line Club go directly to support the South Alabama track and field/cross country programs. For more information on how you can join visit: jaguarathleticfund.com/finishlineclub.