BIRMINGHAM – The UAB football team travels to Hattiesburg this Saturday, Oct. 16, for a C-USA West Division showdown against rival Southern Miss. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. on Stadium.
The Blazers look to remain unbeaten in Conference USA play after defeating North Texas and Florida Atlantic and have outscored their two league opponents 71-20 so far this season. Southern Miss enters the contest at 1-5 overall and 0-2 in league play.
Who: UAB (4-2, 2-0 C-USA) at Southern Miss (1-5, 0-2 C-USA)
Where: M.M. Roberts Stadium – Hattiesburg, Miss.
When: Saturday, Oct. 16 – 2:30 p.m. CST
Watch: Stadium – www.watchstadium.com or local in Birmingham on WTTO (CW 21), Charter Spectrum (9, 100) and AT&T Uverse (21, 1021)
On The Call: Chris Hassel (play-by-play), Max Browne (color)
Listen: WJOX 94.5 FM
On The Call: David Crane (play-by-play), Steve Irvine (color), Landrum Roberts (sideline)
Series: Southern Miss leads, 11-7
Last Meeting: Nov. 9, 2019 – Southern Miss, 37-2
WHAT TO WATCH FOR:
- Southern Miss is UAB’s most common opponent as the two teams are meeting for the 19th time. UAB has won seven of the last nine contests. A Blazer victory on Saturday would even the series at 5-5 when playing in Hattiesburg.
- UAB is 19-3 against C-USA West opponents since returning to action in 2017 and looks for its 20th win this weekend. The Blazers are 26-7 overall against the league since their return to the field.
- Defensive end Alex Wright is the reigning Conference USA Defensive Player of the Week after a career day against Florida Atlantic with eight tackles, three tackles for loss, two sacks and two forced fumbles.
- Wright led a dominant defensive performance as UAB held Florida Atlantic to just 291 yards while compiling 12 tackles for loss, eight sacks and four takeaways.
- UAB’s defense has created nine turnovers in its last three games and has 11 overall this season, which ranks 18th nationally. Starling Thomas V leads the way with two interceptions and a fumble recovery, while Keondre Swoopes also has two interceptions. Overall, UAB has seven INTs and four fumble recoveries.
- Quarterback Dylan Hopkins will be making his fourth start of the season this Saturday. He is 2-1 as the starter this season and 5-3 in his career as QB1. Hopkins has thrown for 826 yards, nine touchdowns and two interceptions this season.
- Tight end Gerrit Prince and wide receiver Trea Shropshire have combined for nine of UAB’s 11 receiving touchdowns and exactly half of the team’s receiving yards (608 of 1,216).
- Veteran tight end Hayden Pittman looks to extend his streak of consecutive games with a reception to 32 on Saturday. Pittman’s 31-game reception streak ranks seventh nationally only behind Justin Hall (Ball State – 49), JD Spielman (TCU – 40), Jake Ferguson (Wisconsin – 39), Emeka Emezie (NC State – 37) Jahan Dotson (Penn State – 35) and Justyn Ross (Clemson – 32).
- Southern Miss has started three different quarterbacks this season and ranks last in C-USA with an average of 16.5 points per game. Freshman QB Jake Lange made his first career start last week against UTEP and finished the game 20-of-31 for 239 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.
- USM Running back Frank Gore Jr. was on the C-USA All-Freshman Team a year ago and last week tallied his second straight game compiling over 100 all-purpose yards. Gore has 403 rushing yards and 161 receiving yards this season.
- Defensively, Malik Shorts leads the team and ranks 12th in Conference USA with 45 tackles (7.5/game).
The Blazers return home following the Southern Miss game to host Rice on Oct. 23 for Homecoming. Kickoff is set for 2:30 p.m. at Protective Stadium.
UAB Football single game tickets at Protective Stadium start as low as $20 and can be purchased by clicking here or calling the UAB Athletics Ticket Office at 205-975-UAB1.
Discounted group tickets and fan experiences are also available for a minimum purchase of 15 tickets to any home football game during the 2021 season. Complete the UAB Football Group Ticket Request Form or download the UAB Football Group Ticket Order Form by visiting the group tickets page.