HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – With the close of the 2020-21 campaign, the Alabama A&M Sports Information Office is producing a Season in Review for each of the program’s 14 sports that competed during the year.
That series will begin with the fall season before progressing to the winter and spring campaigns. Each week reviews will be released on Mondays and Wednesdays until concluding with the final spring sport on Wednesday, July 28 and a Department Season in Review on Monday, August 2.
Today we take a look back at the 2020-21 Men’s Outdoor Track & Field season.
2020-21 Men’s Outdoor Track & Field
Conference Affiliation: Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC)
Overall/Conference Finish: N/A
Final National Ranking: N/A
All-Region Selections: N/A
All-Conference Selections: N/A
Conference Weekly Honors: SWAC Field Athlete of the Week: Devin Gronewold (3/30), SWAC Track Athlete of the Week: Brandon McLaren (3/30)
Major Awards and Honors: N/A
2020-21 Season in Review
- Competed in five meets on the season.
- Included the Montevallo Falcon Classic, Al Schmidt Bulldog Relays, UAB Spring Invitational, Strawberry Relays and the N.C. A&T Aggie Classic.
- Devin Gronewold and Brandon McLaren swept the SWAC weekly awards on March 30 following impressive performances at the Montevallo Falcon Classic. Gronewold won the high jump (1-of-4, 1.88m) and placed 9-of-17 in the long jump to earn Field Athlete of the Week while McLaren was 1-of-9 in the decathlon for Track Athlete of the Week. The latter won the 110-meter hurdles (15.70) and discus (41.03) and was second in the 100-meters (11.39) and javelin (55.01m) while tying for second in the high jump (1.77m).
- Tyrese McPhatter delivered three top-three finishes at the UAB Spring Invitational, going 3-of-25 in the 100-meters (10.80), 2-of-31 in the 200-meters (21.96) and 3-of-7 in the 4×400 relay (3:26.77). The latter was with Jeremy Gresham, Hillary Kipchoge and Kyle Graham.
- McPhatter also finished 6-of-19 in the 100-meters (10.79) and 10-of-27 in the 200-meters (21.74) at the Strawberry Relays (4/10).
- Donald Weakley finished 6-of-30 in the 100-meters (11.00) and 16-of-41 in the 200-meters (22.80) at the Montevallo Falcon Classic and was 5-of-25 in the 100-meters at UAB (4/3).
Schedule of Season in Review Releases
Football (June 14)
Women’s Soccer (June 16)
Women’s Basketball (June 21)
Men’s Basketball (June 23)
Women’s Indoor Track & Field (June 28)
Men’s Indoor Track & Field (June 30)
Bowling (July 5)
Men’s Golf (July 7)
Women’s Tennis (July 12)
Men’s Tennis (July 14)
Men’s Outdoor Track & Field (July 19)
Women’s Outdoor Track & Field (July 21)
Softball (July 26)
Baseball (July 28)
Athletics (August 2)