GAME NOTES: SAMFORD AT UNCG
Complete weekly release in PDF format
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford University women’s volleyball team will take their undefeated, 2-0, Southern Conference record on the road this weekend to face UNCG, and Western Carolina.
Samford, UNCG and Western Carolina enter the weekend undefeated in SoCon play. The Bulldogs are looking to carry strong momentum from their family weekend victories, having only dropped a set in the first two matches of conference play. Head coach Keylor Chan is just one win away from 350 career wins as a head coach, looking to mark the milestone with a road victory.
Opponent: Western Carolina
Date: Saturday, Oct. 2
Location: Cullowhee, N.C.
Time: 5 PM CT
Watch Live ESPN+
- The Bulldogs and Spartans will face off for the 25th time on Friday, with the Dogs holding a commanding 17-8 lead in the series. Samford is on a five-match win streak, including last February’s victory in four-sets over the conference opponent.
- Western Carolina
- Samford has a 24-5 series lead over the Catamounts, with a nine-match win streak that dates back to 2016. The Bulldogs took both matches in the 2020 season, which was delayed to spring 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic, topping WCU in a five-set thriller Feb. 7, before sweeping the Catamounts in straight sets on Feb. 8.
BULLDOGS TO WATCH
- Kenya McQuirter leads the way offensively for the Bulldogs tallying 160 kills through the first 13 matches of the season, and is one of five Bulldogs to play in all 44 sets. McQuirter is coming off a strong weekend where she had double-digit kills against Wofford (13) and The Citadel (14).
- Sarah Hayes Farley played a major role in the Bulldogs four-set victory over The Citadel recording 10 kills and three blocks against the Bulldogs from Charleston, S.C.
- Emily Naubert and Kate Morgan continue to be mainstays for the Bulldogs’ defense tallying 113 and 139 digs respectively. Both Naubert and Morgan recorded double-digit digs against The Citadel in Samford’s 3-1 win.
OPPONENT QUICK LOOKS:
- The Spartans come into the weekend protecting a 13-2 record on the season having already beaten SoCon foes Chattanooga and ETSU. UNCG is led by outside hitter Kayla White who has tallied 214 kills on the young season, posting double-digits in the category in all but one match this season. Gariela McHugh sets the UNCG offense having tallied 587 assists in her 15 matches played.
- Western Carolina stands at 6-7 on the season, but 2-0 in conference play dispatching ETSU and Chattanooga last weekend. The Catamounts are led offensively by senior outside hitter Merry Gebel with 167 kills on the season. Defensively Destinee Dorsey paces the Catamounts with 250 digs through 13 matches played.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS:
For the latest news and information on Samford volleyball, visit the official website for Samford Athletics at SamfordSports.com. Fans can also follow the Bulldogs on social media at @SamfordSports (Facebook), @SamfordVB (Instagram) and @SamfordVB (Twitter).