MONROE, La. – The University of South Alabama women’s soccer team fell to ULM, 3-1, in its final conference road match of the season Sunday afternoon at Brown Stadium.
South Alabama (8-4-2, 4-2-2 SBC) entered the match on a six-game unbeaten streak and was not able to find the back of the net in the first half. ULM (8-3-1, 2-3-1 SBC) scored a pair of goals in the first half before adding a final score early in the second half to take its first win in series history. The Jags took 12 shots, six on target, while holding the Warhawks to 10 shots, six on target during the match.
Place: Brown Stadium (Monroe, La.)
Final Score: ULM 3, South Alabama 1
Records: ULM (8-3-1, 2-3-1 SBC), South Alabama (8-4-2, 4-2-2 SBC)
– Mara Grutkamp opened up scoring in the 16th minute when she was assisted by Taylor Henry to give ULM a 1-0 lead in the first half.
– Theoni Zerva tacked on another goal for the Warhawks at 34:17, extending their lead to 2-0 before halftime.
– Grutkamp scored a brace in the 47th minute to give ULM a 3-0 lead early in the second half.
– Imane Addi took a penalty kick for USA in the 50th minute and scored, putting the Jags on the board, 1-3.
– This was the first loss for the Jaguars in series history.
– The loss snaps a six-game unbeaten streak that was held by USA.
THEY SAID IT
Head Coach Richard Moodie
– On the result: “It was a long week for our team with lots of traveling. We played two very talented teams in our conference on this road trip. We have to regroup, try to get our student-athletes healthy and finish the season strong.”
– The Jags will return home for their final home stand of the season on Friday to host rival Troy at The Cage at 4 p.m.
For more information about South Alabama athletics, check back with www.usajaguars.com, and follow the Jaguars at www.twitter.com/WeAreSouth_JAGS. Season tickets for all Jaguar athletic events can be purchased by calling (251) 461-1USA (1872).
Join the Upper 90 Club, the soccer specific support club of the Jaguar Athletic Fund. All gifts to the Upper 90 Club go directly to support the South Alabama soccer program. For more information on how you can join visit: http://jaguarathleticfund.com/upper90