Chargers Fall in Overtime at Christian Brothers on Sunday

MEMPHIS | The University of Alabama in Huntsville men’s soccer team fell in a heartbreaker on Sunday afternoon, dropping a 3-2 decision in overtime to host Christian Brothers. The Chargers are now 4-3-2 (2-2-1 Gulf South Conference), while CBU improves to 7-4-1 (3-3-1 GSC).
The contest was wildly back-and-forth in the second half as CBU broke what had been a scoreless tie in the 49th minute, but the Chargers had an immediate response as James Fee set up Michael Weston in the 51st to quickly level the game at 1-1. 
The goal for Weston is his first of the season as is the assist for Fee.
The Chargers had an opportunity to go ahead for the first time in the 69th minute when the team was awarded a penalty kick, but CBU’s keeper Wayne Davis was up for the challenge and made the stop to keep it tied for the time being. 
UAH would, however, go in front in the 76th when Sander van der Sluijs scored his team-leading third of the year off an assist from Daniel Smedsrud – his first collegiate point – but the lead would be short-lived as it was the home side who had the quick response, equalizing in the 78th to make it 2-2.
The two teams would trade chances in the final minutes with Ethan Haworth making one of his three saves in the 88th before Davis would make a stop of his own with just ten seconds remaining in regulation to send the contest into overtime.
CBU then would put three shots on target in the extra period, including the game-winner in the 99th.
Shot in the game would end up at 16-12 in favor of the Bucs, though the Chargers did enjoy a 7-6 margin in attempts that were on goal. Christian Brothers earned seven corners to UAH’s five.
The Chargers will look to bounce back when Friday Night Football returns to Charger Park at the end of the upcoming week, with Montevallo visiting the Rocket City. Kick-off is slated for 7:30 p.m. at Charger Park.

Print Friendly Version
College Sports, Men’s Soccer, Sports, University of Alabama Huntsville Tags: