TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Reyna Reyes led the Alabama soccer team (7-6-0, 2-2-0 SEC) to a 1-0 upset win over No. 24 LSU (8-3-0, 1-3-0) with a late goal in a Friday night thriller at the Alabama Soccer Stadium.
After a scoreless 84 minutes, Bella Scaturro received a pass from Macy Clem on the flank of the 18-yard box. Scaturro played the ball into the box to find the head of Reyes, who directed the ball towards net and slipped her shot past the LSU goalkeeper.
Prior to Reyes’ breakthrough late in the game, the two squads came out on a mission, competing in a physical battle. Both teams were aggressive in their play as LSU registered 20 fouls compared to Alabama’s 10. Despite the aggressive play, the Tide led the board in shots and corners, firing off 17 and six, respectively.
Reyes recorded her second game-winning goal of the season, while Clem and Scaturro registered their first assist.
“Awesome effort and fight tonight. That’s the fight we need to bring to every game in this league. If we do, then we give ourselves a chance to win a lot more games.
“Loved the energy from the crowd tonight. They were fantastic. Hopefully, we gave them a reason to come back. They made a huge difference.”
Behind the Box Score
- Alabama recorded a win over a ranked opponent for first time this season. The last time the Crimson Tide beat a top-25 team was November 6, 2020, downing No. 15 Auburn 1-0.
- The Crimson Tide won its fourth consecutive game at home and seventh home game overall this season
- Junior midfielder Reyna Reyes tallied her second goal of the season and seventh goal of her career
- The Crimson Tide held a 17-9 advantage in shots
- UA also doubled LSU in corners, earning six
- Seven Alabama players registered 90 minutes of play
- Goalkeeper McKinley Crone made four saves on the night and posted her fourth shutout of the season
- LSU was held scoreless for only the second time this season – the other time was a 2-0 loss to Ole Miss
Alabama will head to Fayetteville, Ark., to play No. 8 Arkansas on Thursday, Oct. 7. The match is scheduled for a 6 p.m. CT kickoff and will be aired on SEC Network.
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaSoccer on Twitter and Facebook and AlabamaSoccer on Instagram. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.