BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford women’s soccer team will take to the road for its second week of SoCon play as the Bulldogs face the Mercer Bears on Friday, Oct. 1 at 5 p.m. and The Citadel on Sunday, Oct. 3 at 12 p.m. in Charleston, South Carolina.
Samford opened conference play on a strong note, recording back-to-back 3-0 shutouts against VMI and UNCG for an overall record of 5-3-2, 2-0 (SoCon). Mercer is entering competition with a current record of 4-3-2, 1-0-1 (SoCon) after claiming a 3-0 victory over WCU and 0-0 draw against ETSU. The Citadel sits at 7-3 on its season, defeating the ETSU Buccaneers 2-0 while dropping a 1-0 decision to Western Carolina last week. The fellow Bulldogs will compete against Chattanooga to open the weekend before facing Samford.
Opponent: vs. Mercer (4-3-2)
Date: Friday, Oct. 1
Location: Macon, Ga.
Site: Betts Stadium
Time: 5 PM CT
- Samford and Mercer have taken the field together 21 times.
- The Bulldogs hold a dominant 14-3-4 advantage in the series.
- In their last meeting, Samford defeated the Bears by a 6-1 final score.
- The two teams have competed against each other 17 times.
- The Bulldogs hold a 15-1-1 advantage in the series.
- Last season, Samford defeated The Citadel 3-0 in the regular season.
BULLDOGS TO WATCH
- Junior Kyla Reynolds registered her first goals of the season this past week, scoring one goal each against VMI and UNCG. The forward from Rome, Georgia now has 15 career goals for the Bulldogs. Reynolds was also named this week’s Southern Conference Student-Athlete of the Week after earning a 3.97 GPA to go along with her performance on the pitch.
- Senior Audrey Kleiman was an impact player behind Samford’s attack against the Keydets, assisting Mary Raymond’s and Kyla Reynold’s goals on Friday night at Shauna Yelton Field. Kleiman has a total of four points on the season with one goal and now two assists under her belt.
- Junior Mary Raymond found her way into both the goal and assist categories to open SoCon play, logging one goal against VMI and one assist in Samford’s matchup against the Spartans. Raymond has now collected two goals and three assists on the season.
OPPONENT QUICK LOOKS
- Mercer has competed in nine contests, firing off 153 shots with 17 being on frame and recording 18 goals. Senior Ally Fordham leads the attack for the Bears with a team-high four goals, while freshman Lana Whitfield is a key playmaker for Mercer with a team-high three assists on the season.
- The Citadel has registered 201 shot attempts, 97 of which were on goal for a total of 30 goals this season for the fellow Bulldogs. Junior Suzuka Yosue and graduate student Sophie Saldivar have combined for 12 goals with Yosue also posting a team-high eight assists for The Citadel.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS:
For the latest news and information on Samford women’s tennis, visit the official website for Samford Athletics at SamfordSports.com. Fans can also follow the Bulldogs on social media at /SamfordSports (Facebook), @SamfordSoccer (Twitter), and @SamfordSoccer (Instagram).