TROY, Ala. – Behind the right foot of Ella Owen, Troy toppled Texas State 1-0 to earn the first league win of the season Sunday at the Troy Soccer Complex.
Owen put the Trojans (3-5-1, 1-2-0 SBC) on the board early and never looked back. The freshman connected on a pass in the midfield by Riley Rojahn in the 13th minute for her third goal of the season.
Through the first 45 minutes of action, Texas State (5-4-1, 2-2-0 SBC) fired off three shots, all of which were on goal, but Troy goalkeeper Lindsey LaRoche kept the Bobcat’s offense at bay.
The opening 31 minutes of the second half proved to be a defensive showdown with the Trojans recording the only three shots attempted.
In hopes of evening the score to send the game into overtime, Texas State fired off a pair of shots in the final four minutes.
The Bobcats seventh shot of the day was their best of the afternoon, but center back Kate Eubanks was able to clear a loose ball off the goal line in the 86th-minute to preserve LaRoche’s second clean-sheet of the season and third overall victory.
Quotable – Head Coach Nicole Waters
“It was a well fought match this afternoon for both teams. Sundays are always difficult in conference, and we are incredibly proud of the players for fighting until the final whistle. I want to give a special shoutout to Julianne Hester for playing the most minutes of her career, Ella Owen for scoring her third goal of the season and the game winner and to Kate Eubanks who slid to save the ball off the line. Overall, it was a great team performance, moving into a long road trip this upcoming weekend.”
- The Trojans earned their first regular season conference win since Troy downed Coastal Carolina on Oct. 18, 2020.
- Troy earned their first regular season win over Texas State since Oct. 25, 2019.
- Today marked Troy’s second consecutive win over the Bobcats after dropping Texas State in the opening round of the 2020 Sun Belt Tournament.
- Ella Owen recorded her third goal of the season. Owen and Erin Bloomfield are the only Trojans with multiple goals this season.
- Troy improves 2-0-0 when leading at the half, and 3-1-0 when holding their opponent scoreless at the half.
The Trojans hit the road to the Peach State where they fill face the likes of Georgia Southern and Georgia Southern. Thursday’s kickoff from Eagle Field is set for 6 p.m. while Sunday’s match in Atlanta will kickstart at 11 a.m.