BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford University women’s soccer team wrapped up family weekend festivities with a dominant 3-0 win over UNC-Greensboro, Sunday afternoon at Shauna Yelton Field.
The Bulldogs were testing the Spartan back line early with a number of key shots in the opening 45 minutes, but were unable to capitalize on their chances in front of the net. The Samford defense looked solid through the first half fending off two corners from the Spartans.
Samford started the second half, much like the first, on the attacking front foot. The Dogs recorded five shots in the first five minutes of the second frame with UNCG narrowly escaping concession on several occasions. However, in the 57th minute the Bulldogs broke through the deadlock as Alyssa Frazier scored her third goal of the season. Taylor Yount and Kyla Reynolds also added goals to the Bulldogs offensive attack as the defense blanked the visitors from Greensboro, N.C. to close out a busy weekend for Samford athletics.
- In the 22nd minute, Samford substitute Layla Brown put strong pressure on the UNCG defenders causing a ball to ricochet off a Spartan center back. Brown broke through with a one-on-one opportunity with the UNCG keeper who was able to parry the shot away from danger keeping the score line 0-0.
- The Bulldogs recorded seven shots, five of them on target, in the first 45 minutes. Goalkeeper, Morgan McAslan, recorded a save as the Samford defense fought off two Spartan corners to keep the stat sheet clean heading into the halftime break.
- Despite a valiant effort from UNCG to manage the barrage of Samford shots, the Bulldogs broke through with Alyssa Conarton sending a throw-in towards Mary Raymond who drove end line and send a ball towards Alyssa Frazier who slotted home the first-time ball to give the Bulldogs the lead in the 57th minute.
- Samford doubled their lead in the 70th minute as Anna Major took control of the ball in the midfield sending a bouncing ball into space behind the UNCG back line towards forward Taylor Yount. Yount won her battle with the Spartan center back and drove quickly into the 18-yard box cutting the ball back onto her left foot and sending a deft shot off the far post and into the net.
- In the 86th minute, Samford capped an explosive second-half performance with their third goal as Alyssa Frazier send a through ball past the UNCG defense to a sprinting Kyla Reynolds who forced the Spartan keeper into a kick save, but Reynolds punched home the rebound in the waning moments of the match.
FROM THE BOX SCORE
- Samford out-shot UNCG 24-2, with 13 shots on frame and nine corners in the match for the Bulldogs.
- McAslan recorded her fourth shutout of the season tallying two saves on the afternoon.
- Three different Bulldogs found their way onto the score sheet against UNCG with Frazier notching her third goal of the season, while Yount and Reynolds tallied their second goals of the season.
- UNCG was led by goalkeeper Aiyanah Tyler-Cooper who had 10 saves for the visiting squad.
- The Samford women’s soccer team will head to Macon, Ga. to face SoCon rival Mercer, Friday, Oct. 1 at 5 PM.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS:
For the latest news and information on Samford women’s soccer, visit the official website for Samford Athletics at SamfordSports.com. Fans can also follow the Bulldogs on social media at /SamfordSports (Facebook), @SamfordSoccer (Twitter), and @SamfordSoccer (Instagram).