TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Samford University volleyball team dropped the final two matches of Florida State’s Four Points Tallahassee Seminole Invite, Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED: Florida State
It was all Seminoles in the first set, as Florida State opened a 14-point lead after the Bulldogs mini-run in the early part of the set. The Bulldogs were unable to mount a challenge as Florida State took the opening set 25-11.
The Bulldogs found their footing in the second set hanging with the Noles blow-for-blow. The balanced offensive attack included five kills each from Sarah Hayes Farley and Kenya McQuirter, three from Cameron Spence, and a slide attack from Kate Wonus. Just as FSU was trying to pull away in the middle of the second frame, the Bulldogs mounted a four-point run to lead the Seminoles 17-15. The Bulldogs had a number of slim leads throughout the set, and even fought back to draw level at 22-22, before a late FSU push sealed the set 25-22.
In the final frame, the Bulldogs looked to be in complete control holding a significant lead over the Seminoles late into the third set, 20-10. However, FSU erupted for a 10-point rally drawing even at 20-20, and eventually taking the match with a 25-22 final set.
FROM THE BOX SCORE
- McQuirter added another double-digit match to her resume with 10 kills and two blocks.
- Hayes Farley and Spence had seven and five kills respectively, while Kayla Keshock tallied 21 assists in the match.
- For the Noles, Morgan Chacon led the way with eight kills and six aces.
HOW IT HAPPENED: Tulane
The Bulldogs struggled to find their rhythm in the opening set as Tulane opened an early 10-19 lead, with the Green Wave eventually securing the set 25-16.
Much like the earlier match against Florida State, the Bulldogs bounced back in the second frame with tight battle throughout the set. The Bulldogs tallied four blocks in the second set and had a four-point run that kept the Dogs within striking distance (14-17). Despite drawing level at 18-18, the Green Wave stole the set 25-22.
Tulane got out to a fast start in the final set opening a 5-1 lead on the Bulldogs, and the Bulldogs looked to respond with a few mini-runs of their own eventually pulling within three points. However, Tulane closed out the match 25-15.
FROM THE BOX SCORE
- Butler lead the Bulldogs with seven kills against the Green Wave, with Farley and Wonus added five apiece.
- Emily Naubert had 11 digs for the Dogs defensively and recorded two service aces.
- Michelle Urquhart led Tulane will 11 kills and four aces.
- The Bulldogs will continue their extended road trip in Bowling Green, Ky. for the Western Kentucky Invitational facing off with Western Kentucky, UT Martin, and Ole Miss next Friday and Saturday.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS:
For the latest news and information on Samford volleyball, visit the official website for Samford Athletics at SamfordSports.com. Fans can also follow the Bulldogs on social media at @SamfordSports (Facebook), @SamfordVB (Instagram) and @SamfordVB (Twitter).