BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford women’s soccer team picked up its second shutout of the season in dominant fashion with a 4-0 victory over Jacksonville State on Sunday’s senior day match at the Samford Track and Soccer Stadium.
Two Bulldog seniors scored en route to Samford’s win against cross-state rival, JSU, while the Bulldogs also honored four seniors: Zoë Perrin, Alyssa Frazier, Audrey Kleiman and Grace Sommi. The Bulldogs defense snuffed out any potential Gamecock attack, while the offensive took full advantage of their changes in the attacking half.
- Just over seven minutes into the first half, Bulldog defender, Lindsay Origliasso, was streaking down the left flank and whipped in a cross just outside the six-yard box forcing JSU goalie, Morgan Lerch, into a diving clearance which ultimately fell to the feet of Samford senior Zoë Perrin. Perrin slotted the rebound home giving the Bulldogs an early lead in the eighth minute, also scoring her second-career goal on senior day.
- Jacksonville State struggled to keep possession throughout the majority of the first half as the Bulldogs maintained the tempo of the match. In the 31st minute, Samford extended its lead after senior Alyssa Frazier played a ball out wide to Taylor Yount on the left side. Yount then dropped a bending ball between the two Gamecock center backs, allowing for sophomore forward Layla Brown to hammer into the top netting for a 2-0 lead before heading into the break.
- In the 53rd minute, the Bulldog’s pressure forced a turnover at midfield which was collected by Samford defender, Ella Simpson, who slotted the ball down the left flank to Audrey Kleiman. Kleiman beat JSU’s right-back on her inside shoulder and placed the ball into the left side pocket of the goal to become the second Bulldog senior to score on senior day.
- As time was winding down, Head Coach Todd Yelton subbed in a younger lineup, displaying the Bulldog’s depth especially in attacking positions. In the 85th minute, freshman Maison Wells found herself open down the right side of the field and drilled a cross deep to the far side of the 18-yard box where her fellow freshman Grace Crawford awaited, unmarked. Crawford’s first touch set up a strong right-footed finish as the Bulldogs sealed the 4-0 victory.
FROM THE BOX SCORE
- The reigning SoCon Defensive Player of the Week, Morgan McAslan, recorded her second shutout of the season against the Gamecocks, playing all 90 minutes with one save.
- Four different Bulldogs, including two seniors, notched goals against the Gamecocks. Seniors Perrin and Kleiman scored their second and first goals of the season, respectively, while Brown and Crawford tallied their first collegiate goals.
- Samford dominated Jacksonville State offensively with a 17-2 advantage in shots, 10 of which were on frame for the Bulldogs.
- The Bulldogs also recorded five corners on the day and drew eight fouls.
The Samford women’s soccer team will take their three-match unbeaten streak on the road to Austin, Texas to face the Texas Longhorns in a Thursday night match on September 16. Kickoff between the Bulldogs and Longhorns is set for 7 PM CT.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS:
For the latest news and information on Samford women’s soccer, visit the official website for Samford Athletics at SamfordSports.com. Fans can also follow the Bulldogs on social media at /SamfordSports (Facebook), @SamfordSoccer (Twitter), and @SamfordSoccer (Instagram).