BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford volleyball team makes their long-awaited return to the Pete Hanna Center, Tuesday, to face the Kennesaw State Owls after an eight-game road swing.
The Bulldogs (1-8) earned their first victory of the season with a four-set win over UT Martin where senior outside hitter Lauren Deaton lead all scorers with 24 kills in the match while Kenya McQuirter and Sarah Hayes Farley tallied 17 and 8 respectively. The Bulldogs also pushed the undefeated Ole Miss Rebels in a four-set match at the Western Kentucky Invite last weekend, claiming the first set 25-23, before narrowly dropping the final three. Deaton and McQuirter combined for 34 kills while Kate Morgan set a new career high in digs with 23.
Opponent: Kennesaw State
Date: Tuesday, September 13
Location: Birmingham, Ala.
Site: Pete Hanna Center
Time: 7 PM CT
- The Bulldogs and Owls have met five times in program history with the Dogs holding a narrow 3-2 lead. The squads last met on September 13, 2019 at Kennesaw State where the Bulldogs topped the Owls in a five-set thriller.
BULLDOGS TO WATCH
- Deaton had a monster weekend at the WKU Invite tallying 51 kills in three matches included a season best mark of 24 kills in the Bulldog’s win against UT Martin.
- McQuirter is riding a three-match streak with double-digit kills with 11 against WKU, 17 versus UT Martin, and 15 against the Rebels.
- Kate Morgan continues to impress in her rookie campaign setting a career high in digs against Ole Miss with 23, recording 46 on the weekend.
OPPONENT QUICK LOOKS:
- Kennesaw State is 4-4 on the season with wins against Indiana State, Georgia Southern, Alabama and UAB.
- The Owls are led offensively by junior right side Emma Schurfranz who has recorded 104 kills on the season, and senior outside hitter Lauren Chastang who has recorded more than 20+ kills twice this season against Montana August 28 and UAB, September 10.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS:
For the latest news and information on Samford volleyball, visit the official website for Samford Athletics at SamfordSports.com. Fans can also follow the Bulldogs on social media at /SamfordVolleyball (Facebook), @SamfordVB (Instagram) and @SamfordVB (Twitter).