BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – The Samford University volleyball team dropped a tough match versus the undefeated Ole Miss Rebels in the Western Kentucky Invite finale, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Bulldogs came out strong in the opening set looking to build on their first win of the season the night before against UT Martin. Samford exploded out of the blocks to a four-point lead (7-3) following a five-point service run by Andie Salasky that included a pair of kills from Lauren Deaton and two aces. The Rebels fought back, chopping the Bulldog lead to just two, 17-15, forcing head coach Keylor Chan to call a timeout. The squads continued to exchange points until Samford took the set 25-23.
In the second set, the early points were back-and-forth, until the Rebels were able to open a 10-7 advantage leading to a Bulldog timeout. However, Ole Miss would not be denied the chance to open a large margin, going on an eight-point run to lead 14-7. Ole Miss would close out the set 25-17 as the Bulldog’s were unable to mount a successful comeback.
The third frame was a set of runs, Samford put together several two and three-point runs only to have Ole Miss respond with consecutive points of their own. Lauren Deaton had an important kill to tie the set at 13-13, but Ole Miss managed to pull ahead of the Dogs (16-13) prompting a quick timeout from head coach Chan. The Bulldogs fought back pulling within one-point following Deaton’s 14th kill of the match (22-21), but Ole Miss was able to steal the set 25-22.
The Bulldogs hit the reset button in the fourth set looking to force the undefeated Rebels into a fifth. A five-point run gave the Bulldogs a 7-4 advantage early, behind a pair of kills from Kenya McQuirter and Kate Wonus. Ole Miss looked to mount a run, but the Bulldogs kept the Rebel points to a minimum as Lauren Deaton and Briana Holmes had back-to-back kills, forcing Ole Miss to call a timeout to regroup. The Rebels responded, turning the fourth set into a back-and-fourth battle to 25. The Bulldog were able to fend off three match points for the Rebels to tie the set at 24-24, but eventually Ole Miss took the set 26-24.
FROM THE BOX SCORE
- Double Digit Dogs: Lauren Deaton and Kenya McQuirter posted 19 and 15 kills respectively leading the Bulldog offense.
- True freshman, Kate Morgan, posted another career high 23 digs versus the Rebels, having just set her career high last night with 21 digs against UT Martin. Emily Naubert also had double-digit digs for the Dogs tallying 12.
- Kayla Keshock set the Bulldog offense with 44 assists leading all athletes in the category.
- For the Rebels, Anna Blair (13) and Payton Brgoch (12 kills) lead the Ole Miss offense, while three Rebels tallied double-digit digs.
- The Bulldogs will return to Magic City and the Pete Hanna Center on Tuesday, September 14 to face Kennesaw State at 7 PM. Samford will also host Louisiana State University and Troy in Birmingham for the Samford Invitational, September 17-19.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS:
For the latest news and information on Samford volleyball, visit the official website for Samford Athletics at SamfordSports.com. Fans can also follow the Bulldogs on social media at @SamfordSports (Facebook), @SamfordVB (Instagram) and @SamfordVB (Twitter).