BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Two University of Alabama basketball players will participate in the Southeastern Conference’s Men’s and Women’s Basketball Leadership Council, it was announced by the league office Wednesday. Megan Abrams of the women’s basketball team and Tyler Barnes of the men’s basketball team will take part in the annual gathering in a virtual format Thursday at 6 p.m. CT.
The council consists of one male representative and one female representative from each of the SEC’s 14 institutions. The goal of the leadership council is for student-athletes to serve as a channel of communication from their teams to the conference office on issues related to student-athlete experience, student-athlete wellness, and to provide feedback on proposed rules governing the SEC and NCAA.
The Men’s Basketball Leadership Council and the Women’s Basketball Leadership Council comprise two components of the SEC Student-Athlete Leadership Council. The third component is the Football Leadership Council, which meets each January.
- 2021-22 SEC Women’s Basketball Leadership Council representative
- Two-time SEC Academic Honor Roll (2020-21)
- 2019 SEC First-Year Honor Roll
- Interned for Nike during the summer of 2021
- Started the last 69 consecutive games for Alabama
- Averaged 8.1 points and 4.4 rebounds last season, while also ranking second on the team with 66 assists and 26 steals
Graduate Student, Forward
- 2021-22 SEC Men’s Basketball Leadership Council representative
- 2021 SEC Community Service Team
- A member of Alabama’s student-athlete advisory committee
- Maintained a 4.0 GPA on his way to graduating last May with a degree in chemical engineering and will begin med school in fall of 2022
- A four-year member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll
- Has played in 28 career contests, making one start
For all the latest information on the team, follow @AlabamaWBB on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. General athletic news can be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.