SAN MARCOS, Texas – Alabama volleyball made a late push in the fourth set to try and send it to five, but Texas State held on to win the match, 3-1.
Alabama (5-3) fell to Texas State (2-6) in the opening set before the Tide rebounded with a two-point win in the second set to even the match. The Bobcats won another close set in the third, 25-22, and then reached match point in the fourth at 24-16 before the Tide rattled off four in a row to make it 24-20 and Texas State called a timeout. Alabama scored two more after the break before a service error ended the run to give the Bobcats the set win, 25-22, and the match, 3-1.
Returning to her home state, freshman Sami Jacobs led the offense with 16 kills and was one dig shy of a double-double with nine, marking a new season high. Fellow Texas native Emily Janek paced the offense with 24 assists while SEC Defensive Player of the Week Dru Kuck led the defense with 22 digs, her fourth match this season with 20+ digs. Chaise Campbell stuffed a season-best six blocks, with Kendyl Reaugh close behind with a career-high four.
- Set 1: Texas State 25, Alabama 16
- Set 2: Alabama 25, Texas State 23
- Set 3: Texas State 25, Alabama 22
- Set 4: Texas State 25, Alabama 22
- The 11 team blocks mark the sixth match the Tide has finished in double digits
- Dru Kuck has posted 20+ digs in four of Alabama’s eight matches this season
- Sami Jacobs was one dig why of a double-double, finishing with a career-high nine along with a team-leading 16 kills
- The team-leading six blocks is a season-high for Chaise Campbell and Kendyl Reaugh’s four is a career-best
Up Next – Bobcat Invitational (San Marcos, Texas)
- Saturday, Sept. 11 vs. Miami – 11:30 a.m. CT