TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama women’s soccer team (3-2-0) hosted the Samford Bulldogs (2-2-1) in a Thursday night matchup at the Alabama Soccer Stadium. The Crimson Tide recorded its second loss of the season after the Bulldogs scored the lone goal of the match in the 55th minute.
The first 45 minutes of the game was a defensive battle between the two squads as both teams were searching for opportunities at goal. Alabama led the board in shots, firing off four compared to Samford’s two; however, neither team was able to convert, ending the half 0-0.
Alabama came out of halftime on fire, finding chances in the first couple minutes of the second half. Despite the Tide’s offensive efforts, Samford netted a goal in the 55th minute. The Bulldogs’ Jennifer Seward found the head of Taylor Yount in the box, who deflected the cross back post for Alyssa Frazier to launch into the back of the net. Alabama did not slow after the goal, leading the half in shots, shots on goal and corner kicks. Despite the effort, Samford would keep the Tide off the board to take the 1-0 win.
Behind the Box Score
- Alabama registered 18 shots, while the Bulldogs tallied six
- Seven of UA’s shots were on goal
- Forward Ashlynn Serepca led the team in shots, firing off four
- Midfielders Reyna Reyes and Aislin Streicek followed behind, earning three shots apiece
- The Tide held the advantage in corners, earning 11 compared to Samford’s two
- Goalkeepers McKinley Crone and Brooke Bollinger made one save apiece
- Samford’s goalkeeper Morgan McAslan was forced to make seven saves on the night
- Alyssa Frazier tallied her second goal of the season for Samford
Alabama will head on the road to face Memphis on Sunday, Sept. 5. The match is scheduled for a 6 p.m. CT kickoff in Memphis, Tenn.
Gallery: (9-2-2021) 09-02-21 WSO vs Samford
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaSoccer on Twitter and Facebook and AlabamaSoccer on Instagram. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.