TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama women’s soccer team (4-4-0) won its in-state matchup, 2-0, on Sunday night against UAB (1-5-2) at the Alabama Soccer Stadium.
Alabama had a dominant first half, despite both teams walking away from the first 45 minutes scoreless. UAB’s goalkeeper, Anika Toth, made two diving saves to keep her team in the match as the Crimson Tide doubled what UAB had in shots with eight. UA also held the advantage in corners, registering five going into halftime.
The Crimson Tide notched the first goal of the night in the 60th minute when midfielder Felica Knox sent in a free kick into the box and found the foot of Tanna Sanchez-Carreto, who volleyed the ball into the back of the net. Less than a minute later, Ashlynn Serepca dribbled the ball through multiple UAB defenders and took a shot at the top of the box, bending the ball into the top left corner. Alabama was able to keep the Blazers scoreless, thanks to a big save from goalkeeper McKinley Crone late in the game.
“Great team win tonight! Our depth was important. We were able to get a lot of players in the game, which I feel ultimately wore them down. Similar to the last few games, I felt our effort and soccer was good. The difference tonight is we made plays in the critical moments. Looking forward to our SEC opener against a very good Ole Miss side!”
Behind the Box Score
- Alabama registered 16 shots on the night, while UAB tallied 10
- Defender Tanna Sanchez-Carreto earned her first goal of the season, third of her career
- Forward Ashlynn Serepca notched her third goal of the season
- Sophomore Felicia Knox assisted her first goal of the season
- The Crimson Tide led the board in corners, earning eight compared to the Blazers’ five
- Goalkeeper McKinley Crone made three saves in her 90 minutes of play
- UAB’s goalkeeper, Anika Toth, was forced to make four saves on the night
Gallery: (9-12-2021) 09-12-21 WSO vs UAB
Alabama will head to Oxford, Miss., to play Ole Miss in the SEC opener. The game is scheduled for a 6 p.m. CT kickoff on Thursday, Sept. 16.
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaSoccer on Twitter and Facebook and AlabamaSoccer on Instagram. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.